Amazon Prime is an excellent way to shop and save big at Amazon.com. For a yearly fee of $99 (that’s just $8.25 a month), you’ll get free 2-day shipping. You’ll make back the cost of the membership in just a few orders. Plus, there are tons of Prime Member Only benefits including member-only sales, discounts, and coupons, and even Member’s Only Exclusive products. I’ve never been able to find a list of the current member-only sale items which is super annoying and there’s no way to sort to find them, but if you catch on, check the prices at other major retailers, but generally you’ll do better on Amazon if Amazon.com is the seller. Watch out for 3rd party sellers – they don’t have to adhere to Amazon’s return policies. Each vendor writes their own, and you could be subjected to ridiculous restocking fees and worse.
Amazon Prime benefits that are FREE with your membership in addition to unlimited free 2-day shipping:
Amazon Prime New Features
- NEW! Prime Reading – now you can enjoy thousand of books, magazines, comics, articles, Kindle Singles, and more. It’s unlimited reading of designated items on any device.
- NEW! Twitch Prime – Like to play games? You’ll get free content every month plus ad-free Twitch viewing plus loads more.
- NEW! Prime Member Exclusive Discounts on Video Games – members get a 20% off discount on pre-order video games as well as newly released games and collectors editions. They are shipped to be delivered on the release date. This discount applies for Wii U, 3DS, PlayStation 4, XBox One, and more.
- NEW! Audible Channels – My favorite new feature! I’m already an Audible subscriber, but now Prime Members get access to original audio series and playlists – everything from current news to history, chick lit, and young adult novels.
- Early Access to Deals means you get access to some Lightning Deals 30-minutes before non-members.
- Shop with Alexa (any device that Alexa is running from – I have an Amazon Fire Stick so I can order by voice – it’s amazing!) Currently they’re offering additional discounts on specific items if you order via Alexa. Current offers include $115 off a Serta Convertible Crib, 35% off Prismal Colored Pencils, and 45% off instead of 35% off Hershey’s Halloween Candy. It’s a great way to entice people into trying out voice order.
- Share Your Prime has changed. Now you can share with another adult in your household, but that person has access to nearly everything the Prime member does as long as the Prime member allows them to. In the past, you could add more people, but the shipping was the only feature they got to enjoy.
- Prime Music lets you listen to over 2 millions of songs on demand and ad-free. That includes holiday music, kids music, classical, jazz, rock, pop, and every other genre you can think of. I have a playlist for rocking my granddaughter to sleep and another for when we’re playing.
- Prime Video – hundreds of Free movies and TV shows including Amazon Original Specials and Series – currently AmericanGirl melody 1963 Love Has to Win is streaming free.
- Kindle First lets you select one of six Editors’ Picks selections each month for free.
- Prime Photos gives members unlimited photo storage for you plus five others with upgraded search abilities to help you find your photos fast.
- FREE same-day delivery on orders over $35 in 27 major cities (I live 30 minutes south of Seattle, and we get it!)
Additional Fees Required – Must be an Amazon Prime Member to Subscribe
- Amazon FreeTime Unlimited gives your kids access to thousands of kid-friendly and age-appropriate books, movies, TV shows, educational apps, and games for kids ages 3 to 12. It also allows parents to set the amount of screen time they’re allowed as well as a work-to-earn program parents can make use of. The cost is $2.99 a month and a perfect companion to the Amazon Kids Fire Tablet.
- Prime Pantry -fill a box with pantry items, and they ship for one price. Selection can be limited, but it usually offers the lowest price on an item. Special offers and coupons are included (only Amazon coupons – there’s no way to add a 3rd party or manufacturer coupon, but you still have to click on it to activate it). I use Amazon’s Subscribe & Save instead.
- Amazon Channels – Available for a small additional fee, you can add any of the 60_ premium networks like SHOWTIME and STARZ for a fraction of ordering them separately.
- Free Washington Post online access for six months
- Prime Now (previously Amazon Fresh) delivers groceries and restaurant goods to your home. I used this extensively for several years and loved it. Unfortunately, they started charging an additional fee on top of Prime to use the service. The prices were too high for me to justify the additional fee. It’s a shame, having access to products from downtown Seattle without having to drive into town was great. I also ordered a laptop once when my crashed the night before. I miss it. Prime Now delivers to just 28 cities.
December is a great time to get an Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial. You get all the benefits for free. If you don’t find it worth the yearly fee, cancel it quickly from your Amazon account before the 30-days is up.