We’re filling our freezer with meals for Alex and La. Their first baby will be here soon and we want to make those first few months easier for them.
This sauce is one that can be used for so many different meals. This time, I’ve used half for chicken parmigiana (recipe coming soon) and baked pasta with sweet chicken sausage (also coming soon). It can also be used to make Spanish rice, lasagna, spaghetti, and any other recipe that calls for a red tomato sauce.
Easy No-Cook Pasta Sauce
I used Costco’s brand organic tomatoes, sauce, and paste so I’ve included the can sizes for them as well as the total quantity should you use a different brand or size.
- 48 oz tomato paste (8 6-oz cans Kirkland Organic Tomato Paste)
- 7 cups hot water
- 102 oz canned diced tomatoes (juice included - 7 14.5 oz cans Kirkland Organic)
- 105 oz tomato sauce (7 15-oz cans Kirkland Organic)
- ¾ c finely minced white or yellow onion
- ½ c finely minced green pepper (seeded)
- ¼ c finely minced garlic (approximately 12 cloves)
- 1 Tbl dried basil
- 1Tbl dried thyme
- 1Tbl dried oregano
- 2 Tbls salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- This makes approximately 38 cups of sauce so make sure your pan or bowl is large enough. I use a large stockpot.
- In a large stockpot, add the tomato paste. Slowly stir in the hot water until the sauce is smooth.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes and their juice, tomato sauce, onion, green pepper, garlic, basil and seasonings.
- Stir until well combined.
- Taste test by putting a few teaspoons into a microwave safe dish and microwave or 1 to 2 minutes. Add additional spices, onions, or garlic to taste if necessary to the pot and re-taste. Heating it is important, trying it cold won't give you its true flavor.
- Package in freezer bags, freezer containers, or use in recipes.
Our Favorite OAMC / Bulk Cooking / Freezer Meal Supplies
Rachael Ray Red Nylon Ladle – stir, measure, and scoop portion sizes
Freezer and Oven-safe Aluminum Foil Oblong Pan with Board Lids, 1-Pound Capacity (5.56 x 4.56 x 1.63 inch) – great size for single servings, sides, sauces and more.
Durable Aluminum Foil Pans for Make-Ahead Meals. 2-1/4 pound capacity and includes board lids. Perfect for a freezer cooking (OAMC) side dish or main dish for 2 adults and 2 children.
Reditainer 16-oz Extreme Freeze Deli Food Containers with Lids, 36-Pack – perfect for individual servings of soup, sauces, and more. Holds about 2 cups.
Reditainer 32-oz Extreme Freeze Deli Food Containers with Lids, 24-Pack – perfect for soup, sauces, and more. Makes portioning and freezing easy. Holds approximately 4 cups.