I have a few secrets for surviving the holidays. The first is I let go of perfection years ago. I no longer strive for the perfect decor, or over the top decorations. In fact, now there are some years I barely get a tree up. But the secret is that I do just what I have the time and energy for, and I’m OK with that. There were far too many years when I tried to make my children’s holidays picture perfect and instead they got a stressed out and frustrated mom who spent more time yelling at them to keep the house clean and appreciate the time I spent creating it for them instead of truly just being together.
Easy Holiday Breakfast Bake
I also make simple make-ahead meals instead of trying elaborate recipes. A stand-by is a breakfast bake that I make plenty of so we eat it the day it’s baked and then leftovers for the next few days. I do the same with dinner, so the days leading up to Thanksgiving and Christmas are free from worrying about meals which leave me free to do things I want to do.
I made our breakfast bake this morning though this time I used vegetarian sausage because it’ll just be my husband and myself until Friday. By then I’ll have made a second one with “real” sausage and my boys call it. It’s a hearty breakfast that reheats beautifully in the toaster oven or microwave so anyone can help themselves. It can also be spiced up for those like my son who like salsa and hot sauce on their eggs or left mild for the rest of us who haven’t burnt off our taste buds yet.
I choose the spices I add based on what’s in the meat I chose. This vegetarian sausage has sage and thyme, so that’s what I used along with a little fresh parsley. I also add vegetables sometimes – fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped tomatoes, peppers, etc. They’re eggs; you can’t go wrong with adding more flavors.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 packages veggie sausage links
- 1 Tbl butter
- 1 Tbl olive oil
- 20 oz package diced potatoes with onion (refrigerator section)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- black pepper
- 12 eggs
- ¼ c milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare a 13x9" baking pan with non-stick spray
- Cook sausage in a medium skillet over medium heat until evenly browned (use 1 tsp olive oil to keep from sticking)
- Meanwhile, crack 12 eggs into bowl or blender. Add milk and stir/blend.
- Remove sausage and place in the bottom of the prepared baking pan
- Add the butter and additional olive to the same skillet. When the butter is melted, add the diced potatoes with onions and sprinkle with salt, pepper, sage, and thyme. Stir to coat and continue to cook until potatoes are lightly browned and crispy .
- Pour browned potatoes over veggie sausage in pan then pour the blended eggs into the center.
- Bake 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Don't overcook.
- Add cheese and parsley and leave in the oven an additional 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Save Time – Bake and Serve in the Same Pan
The pan I chose is from the Baker’s Secret colored metal bakeware line. That’s one more way I cheat the holiday, I bake and serve right in the pan. It makes it fast and easy and I love the cheery red color. There are two sizes and colors, and both have a non-stick coating, but since veggie sausage sticks to everything, I did spray t with a non-stick spray before adding the ingredients.
Clean up is easy because it’s dishwasher safe and it can even take on a metal spatula, so I don’t have to be fussy about it – who’s got time for that?!?
What are your holiday secrets? I’d love to hear them!
Bestseller Baking Pans
- Pyrex Easy Grab 8-Inch Square Baking Dish
- Pyrex Bakeware 4.8 Quart Oblong Baking Dish, Clear
- Freshware SM-110RD 12-Cavity Silicone Mini Valentine Heart Muffin, Brownie, Cornbread, Cheesecake, Pudding, Jello Shot and Soap Mold
- Freshware SL-100RD 6-Cavity Half Circle Silicone Mold for Making Delicate Chocolate Desserts, Ice Cream Bombes, Cakes, Soap, Resin Items, and More
- Philips HD9925/00 Non-Stick Baking Dish, Black
- Cook N Home 1-1/2-Quart Stainless Oil Storage
- Freshware SM-100RD 15-Cavity Silicone Mini Half Sphere Chocolate, Candy and Gummy Mold
- Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish, Clear 8.9 Inch X 13.2 Inch – 3 Qt
- Le Creuset Stoneware 16-Ounce Honey Pot, Dijon
- Silpat AE365240-02 Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat 9-7/16″ x 14-3/8