We have two fireplaces in our home and you’d think that’d be enough, but no. I’ve always wanted one in our bedroom. It doesn’t help that one of the walls in our room has two small closets in it because they flank the fireplace chimneys from downstairs. It’s like a constant reminder that it’s so close, but no cigar.
I’ve considered buying one of the wall-mounted flame fireplaces, but my husband the firefighter nixed that idea in a heartbeat. The only live flame allowed in our house is in one of the fireplaces, or for a photo opp with him continuously asking if I’m done so he can put it out. Even with his resistance, I didn’t give up my quest. That’s when I was offered a chance to try out the Red Electric Fireplace Heater from Crane (model EE-8075R) .
This little mini fireplace is electric and since I already have an electric space heater, there’s nothing he could object to! While I chose the red, it’s also available in white and orange. I love the style and ease of operation – from the moment I unpacked it I knew it was love.
Crane USA Red Electric Fireplace Heater
While it is a heater, and it works beautifully as one, it spends most of its time being an electric fireplace for me. Does it look real? As real as an electric fireplace can, but does it make me feel great to have it on? YES! Now if only it crackled and popped, it’d be perfect.
As a heater it has an energy-efficient ceramic heating element with overheat protection. It has a two heat settings, High (1500W) and Low (750W), as well as a Glow setting. With our 1970’s wiring, I can blow the circuit when I put it on high if there are other power-hungry electric items plugged into the same circuit. On low I’ve not had that experience. It stays cool to the touch even on high though if you feel around near the vent or sides you’ll feel the heat, so don’t.
It’s the perfect size for our bedroom at 12″ x 15″ x 7.5″ and can be easily carried from room to room. It can be placed safely on any sturdy surface – just be sure you always have proper clearance – or on the floor. It easily heats our master bedroom. The only improvement I can think of would be to add a remote control
Portable Heater Safety
I hope you’ll forgive me for talking about portable heater safety for a moment, but it turns out many people aren’t aware of some basic facts. I know this because my husband reminds me constantly of the many fires and injuries he’s responded to because of them. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Just follow a few simple rules when using portable heaters and everything should be fine.
- Treat the cord with care to prevent damage – never put power cords under carpets or squish them between the baseboard and carpet. I’m amazed at how many people do dangerous things with heater cords in an effort to hide them from view – better to look at a cord than have an accidental fire! But that doesn’t mean draping a cord across a doorway or anywhere that could cause a trip hazard.
- Make sure your portable heater is at least 3 feet from any combustible materials – that includes upholstered furniture, curtains, bedding, paper, etc. After the heater has been running for a few minutes, feel the areas around it to be sure it’s not warming anything unexpectedly and move it if you find a hot spot to somewhere safer.
- Never use a portable heater where you store flammable liquids like paint, thinners, solvents, fixatives, gasoline, etc. I’m sure the garage comes to mind, but how about your craft room or storage room?
- Most portable heaters are indoor-use only; never use and indoor model outside.
- Portable heaters are not meant for children so please keep it away from children (and pets too!).
About Crane USA and Where to Buy
Crane USA creates several portable heaters as well as air purifiers, drop humidifiers, kid-friendly humidifiers, warm steam vaporizers, germ defense humidifiers, germ defense air purifiers, classic humidifiers, night lights, and fans.
[w8_highlight color=”blue”]Learn more about CRANE USA products by connecting with them on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and their website.[/w8_highlight]
Buy Crane USA products online and at local retailers like Babies “R” Us, Best Buy, Duane Reade, H-E-B, Lowes, Meijer, Target, Toys R Us, True Value, and more. Find a full list of online and local retailers on the Crane USA Where to Buy webpage.