Need a quick on-the-go breakfast recipe that’s filled with oats, nuts, and dried fruit? Try these peanut butter oatmeal breakfast bars. They’re filled with almonds (though you can switch them to all peanut if you like), coconut (I use Bob’s Red Mill Unsweetened Coconut Flakes), and more. Toasting the coconut, oats, and almonds give them a fabulous taste and crunchy texture.
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup whole almonds
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups (16 oz) creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cherries (raisins or dried cranberries or a mixture of dried fruits can be substituted if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Toast the oats by spreading them onto a rimmed baking sheet and baking for 10. After 10 minutes toss the oats and add the almonds and coconut (on the same pan if large enough or a add a second pan). Continue toasting for 8-10 minutes more, tossing and checking after 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- While the almonds & coconut are toasting, in a large pan over medium heat, warm the corn syrup just until it's heated and small bubbles appear, but not until it boils (if you drip the corn syrup from the spatula it should form a soft drip and hang there and when you pull the spatula through the syrup it should separate and keep it for a few seconds). Remove it from the heat and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla (you can add a pinch of salt if using low-salt peanut butter). Add in the oats, coconut, almonds, and cherries and mix well to incorporate.
- Press the mixture into an ungreased rimmed baking sheet (jelly roll pan) lined with waxed paper (using a rolling pin to compress it really helps as does using a spatula to keep the edges as thick as the middle - the side of the pan help keep the depth even when rolling) and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Remove the bars from the pan by pulling up on the corners of the paper and move them to a cutting board. With a sharp knife, cut into bars and wrap in waxed paper. Store in an airtight container and use within 7-10 days.
What’s your go-to peanut butter infused breakfast?