A new royal baby is on the way! As a fan of all things royal, I thought this recipe which uses Colman’s English Mustard, which was honored in 1866 by Queen Victoria’s seal of approval, was the perfect recipe to share today in his/her’s honor. Colman’s Mustard has been in the royal’s kitchen at Buckingham Palace ever since the Queen approved of it and it’s the perfect addition to recipes like Sheppard’s Pie, Fish and Chips, and this Ham, Sweet Corn, and Potato Chowder.
Here’s hoping the Royal Family have a healthy & happy baby in 2015!
- 2 Tbl butter
- 2 Tbl flour
- 2 tsp Colman's Dry Mustard Powder
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 large russet potato, pealed and chopped
- ½ cup diced ham
- 2 cups canned sweet corn (drained)
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium-size saucepan on low heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and mustard powder. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the chicken stock. Increase the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring continuously until it thickens.
- Add the potato, sweet corn and ham. Cover and cook for 8 to 12 minutes while stirring frequently until the potatoes are soft..
- Add the green onion and heavy cream. Continue cooking just until heated through, but don't let it reach a boil
- Serve immediately.
Vegetarian Sweet Corn & Potato Chowder Alternative
To make this chowder vegetarian, leave out the ham and switch from chicken stock to vegetable stock. A hearty soup in 30 minutes!