Want a cupcake that’s sure to please your family? This Cookies & Cream Cupcakes and frosting recipe makes up a homemade sweet treat that is made from scratch in your own kitchen. They’re perfect for a birthday party, special occasion, or just because you feel like baking.
Cookies and Cream Cupcakes – Easy Recipe
You can use Oreo Cookies (did you know they’re vegan?!?) or any other chocolate cookie, but I love the Newman’s Own Organics Creme Filled Chocolate Cookies or for a fun twist, use Newman’s Own Organics Mint Creme Chocolate Cookies. They’re organic and Newman’s Own donates their profits to charity.
No matter which cookies you choose for your Cookies and Cream Cupcakes and frosting, you’ll need to crush them. There are several ways to do this, but the one that’s the most fun and lets you get a little energy out is to put them in a recloseable bag, smush the air out, then take a rolling pin and beat the tarnation out of them! This is also a fun way to get the kids involved – they’ll love crushing cookies for you! Of course, don’t forget to save a few for garnishing the top of each cupcake, or purchase mini cookies.
You can also put your chocolate cookies into a food processor and process for a few seconds. Be careful though not to over-process or beat by rolling pin. You’ll want to be sure they’re still a bit chunky and not completely processed smooth. You want the bits of cookie to be found throughout both the Cookies and Cream Cupcakes and frosting.
- Cookies & Cream Cupcake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1-1/2 cup crushed chocolate sandwich cookies (including the cream centers)
- Cookies & Cream Frosting
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3-¾ cups powdered sugar
- 5 Tbl milk
- ½ cup ground chocolate sandwich cookies (including the cream centers)
- Mini chocolate cookie or cookie crumbs to top cupcake (optional)
- Cake Directions
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Turn the mixer up and mixed until well combined.
- Reduce the mixer to low and the flour, mixing just until combined
- Stir in chopped cookies by hand.
- Pour batter into cupcake pan (about ⅔ full or ⅓ -1/4 of a cup).
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cookies & Cream Frosting
- In a mixing bowl on medium speed, cream the butter and vanilla together.
- Slowly stir in powdered sugar and milk (if the frosting is too thick, add a tsp of milk; too thin, add a tsp of powdered sugar).
- Mix with a mixer until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Fold in crushed sandwich cookies gently by hand.
- After your cupcakes are completely cool, frost them any way you like, and top with a cookie or cookie crumbs!
Have you made homemade cupcakes lately? It’s surprising how fast and easy they are and because they don’t come from a box, they have fewer ingredients, preservatives, and artificial additives. Want some color? Choose a fun cupcake liner in teal or pink to really make them sing.
Enjoy! And save one for me!