Here’s a unique chocolate chip cookie recipe to add to your collection.
Chocolate Chip Cookies have been an American favorite for decades. Many have laid claim to being the originator of these delicious creations, but I don’t care who invented them, I just am grateful they did.
But I like cookies with nuts. Any kind of nuts. Walnuts, pecans, almonds…you name it. I’ve been known to use Peanut M&Ms and Almond M&M’s after a holiday when they’re deeply discounted in my cookies. Yum!
Homemade Almond Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
This recipe uses slivered almonds, but you could easily get whole almonds and chop them roughly yourself or go ahead and leave them whole. Almond lovers like me with thank you!
Want your almond chocolate chip cookies to be fantastic? Use FRESH ingredients and the best you can afford. REAL vanilla extract, butter, and good quality flour. Your leavening ingredients are important as well. Old or outdated baking powder or soda will me lackluster cookies.
- 2 ½ c all-purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 c Butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 c Brown Sugar (tightly packed)
- ½ c Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ½ tsp Almond Extract (or 1-1/2 tsp vanilla if you don't have almond)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Milk Chocolate Chips
- ¾ Cup Semi Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup Roasted Slivered Almonds, Crushed or chopped roughly
- Preheat oven to 375˚
- In small bowl combine Flour, Salt, Baking Powder and Baking Soda; set aside.
- In a mixing bow, cream together the Butter, Sugar and Brown Sugar on low to medium speed until fluffy.
- Add Vanilla and Almond Extract and eggs,, one at a time, mix thoroughly after each addition.
- Remove the batter from the mixer and add the flour mixture, Almonds, and chips by hand. Stir just until combined.
- Using a 1" scoop (or two spoons) place the dough onto an ungreased cookie sheets. Using the back of a spoon, the bottom of a glass (floured), spatula, or your clean fingers, press the dough down a bit to make it flat. If you like, push in on the edges all the way around to make them nice and round.
- Bake at 375˚ until brown on bottom and just starting to brown on top, approximately 9-11 minutes. (if you use a silicone mat it will take 2-3 minutes longer).
- Remove to a cooling rack.
Store the Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies in air tight container with a piece of bread so they don’t dry out if you like them soft. I like mine crispy so I cook them longer and store them alone in a resealable bag (they don’t last long here).
Frozen Cookie Dough
Make a double batch and freeze half the dough for another day! Make them up until baking and instead of placing them 2″ apart, fit them closely together but not touching. Put the baking pan in the freezer for about 30 minutes (flash freezing). When the cookies are frozen, place them in a freezer-safe container (like a reclosable bag). Label them with the date, the cooking temp (375 degrees) and the cooking time. Freeze for up to three months.
When you’re ready to cook. Take out the number of frozen cookies you want to bake. Place them on a pan. Allow them to thaw for about 10 minutes (or up to overnight in the fridge, covered). Then bake them according to the directions. Now you have fresh cookies anytime!