It’s easy to get in a rut and make grilled cheese sandwiches the same old way – it’s quick, easy, and requires no thought. But it doesn’t take much to shake up an old standby and improve it’s nutritional value by swapping out and adding a few ingredients.
Try adding fresh veggies like tomato, onions, avocados, baby spinach, etc. Switch your cheese to something with a bit more flavor. Consider Gruyere, Gouda, Pepper Jack, and more. Cheese come in so many flavors – try some new ones!
Grown Up Grilled Cheese
Want to really change it up? Add some fruit to your grilled cheese! Sliced apples or pears (fresh not canned) are delightful with gooey cheese and is an easy way to get your kids to eat better! Plus switch out the white bread with a hearty wheat and you’ll benefit from the fiber boost.
For this Turkey & Brie Grilled Cheese, consider smoked turkey for a richer flavor. It’s perfect for lunch or dinner and would be fabulous with a little green, potato, or macaroni salad and chips.
- 4 slices Roman Meal bread
- Nonstick cooking spray and/or 2 tsp softened butter
- 2 oz Brie cheese, sliced thinly
- 1 small green pear - cored, halved and sliced thinly
- 4 oz roasted turkey breast, sliced thinly
- Sliced Pickles (Bread & Butter or Dill)
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat; spray with nonstick spray
- Layer cheese, pear and turkey between slices of bread, creating 2 sandwiches. Lightly butter the outside pieces OR lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray (Organic Olive Oil is my fav).
- Cook sandwiches 3-4 minutes, or until bottom slices of bread are golden brown. Flip sandwiches over and cook an additional 2-3 minutes until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Add pickles and enjoy