Sometimes making cupcakes for a special event or class party just seems overwhelming. That’s when cake mixes come in handy! But you don’t have to limit yourself just to the flavors available at your local grocery store. Make a plain boxed cake mix special by adding a few additional ingredients and you’ll end up with a gourmet cupcake that took no time at all to make.
Transform a Yellow Cake Mix into a Salted Caramel and Cinnamon Cupcake
This recipe starts with a basic yellow cake mix (your choice if you choose the pudding or no-pudding version – I generally go with the pudding-in-the-mix variety as they seem to have a moister crumb). Cinnamon is added for a kick to the cake batter and caramel sauce added to canned frosting to boost its flavor. Then the entire cupcake is topped with a piece of caramel dipped in salt.
- 1 yellow cake mix plus eggs, vegetable oil and water, per mix instructions
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 can cream cheese frosting (whipped frosting not recommended)
- 2 tsp caramel ice cream topping, plus additional for garnish
- 12 individually wrapped caramels
- Morton Coarse Sea Salt
- Heat oven and prepare cake mix as instructed on the box - stir the cinnamon into the batter.
- Divide prepared batter evenly among 24 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup ⅔'s full.
- Bake cupcakes as instructed on the box.
- Remove cupcakes from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Unwrap the caramels and cut each one in half lengthwise. Press one side of each gently into the coarse sea salt. Set aside.
- In a small bow, combine the caramel ice cream topping and canned frosting. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag with a decorator tip or a reclosable bag with the corner snipped off. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
- Drizzle each cupcake with additional caramel topping and top with the salted caramel pieces with the salt showing.
- Serve immediately and refrigerate any leftover cupcakes.
SOURCE: Morton Salt, Inc. – For more about the Morton Salt Girl and events and promotions planned in 2014 to celebrate her birthday, visit www.mortonsaltgirl100.com.
Sounds yummy! I like that it is easy too. Stop by anytime 😉 Theresa
Looks yummy! I’m not much of a baker but will give these a try. Thanks for sharing!
I’m not much of a baker any more so I appreciate the cake mix start for sure 🙂
Your site is amazing! I wanted to leave a comment but your don’t have a Name/URL option. Bummer.