I grow tired of the poor characterizations about kids shared daily online and through the news media. It seems every generation says “this one” is the worst and yet, if you really pay attention, there are some amazing kids out there doing great things. So many in fact that Kohl’s Cares® Scholarship Program has awarded nearly 200 youth volunteers $1,000 scholarships through their program this year alone.
This is Kohl’s 13th year of rewarding young community helpers. The winners were chosen based on their leadership, initiative, and their projects benefit to the community. Regional winners move on to a national contest where 10 winners will receive one of 10 national $10,000 scholarships plus a $1,000 donation to a nonprofit organization in the winners’ honor. Four of the children who’ve won were Seattle-area locals. These kids were chosen from over 35,000 nominees nationwide. That’s an impressive number of kids doing good deeds!
Kohl’s Recognizes 3 Washington Youth Philanthropists
The winner’s in Seattle included Ellie Behn, a 9-year old girl from Lake Stevens who, for the last 2 years, has collected toys and food for more than 1,000 families during the holidays. She’s joined by Tyler Gage, a Maple Valley teen who created the 1-More Foundation which is committed to helping others by collecting food and supplies for non-profit organizations including Special Olympics, Relay for Life, and the Food Bank. Tyler is 16.
The third local winner is from the other side of the mountains. Elijah White is an 8-year old Wenatchee boy with a passion for books. He held a One Boy Read-A-Thon where he collected donations and pledges of $1,700 which he donated to the Literacy Council of Chelan and Douglas Counties.
I wanted to share these kids and the good they’re doing so that maybe we can counteract some of the negative stuff out there. I’m a true believer in you get what you expect – expect goodness, provide support, and reward positivity and it may just happen.
Congrats to the winners and thank you for your generosity!
Connect with Kohl’s
- The Kohl’s Cares® Scholarship Program is part of Kohl’s Cares®, Kohl’s philanthropic program focused on improving the lives of children. For more information on the Kohl’s Cares®Scholarship Program visit kohlskids.com.
- Store locations and information and online shopping – www.Kohls.com,
- Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/kohls)
- Twitter (http://twitter.com/Kohls)
- Pinterest (http://pinterest.com/kohls/)
- Instagram (http://instagram.com/kohls).
- Kohl’s recognizes eight West Michigan students for community service (mlive.com)
- Two North State Youths Rewarded for Giving Back (khsltv.com)
- Two Corpus Christi students win Kohl’s Cares scholarships for volunteer work (caller.com)