This Smartfood Fava Bean Puree with Garlic, Tomato and Basil Recipe was provided by Frito-Lay.
SMARTest Cities in America with Chef Jody Denton on MiscFinds4U
Fava Bean Puree with Garlic, Tomato and Basil
Chef Denton is allowing us to share several of his recipes to celebrate that American’s are working at improving what they eat – here’s his fourth recipe.
- ½ pd dried fava beans (peeled), soaked overnight in water
- 1 qt chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 white onion, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup whole peeled garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 pints red teardrop or grape tomatoes
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup sliced garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp red chile flakes
- 1 cup (packed) fresh torn basil leaves
- Regianno Parmesan for grating
- Soak the fava beans overnight.
- Drain the beans and place them in a large saucepan along with the chicken stock, water, onion, garlic cloves, bay leaf, black pepper, salt and half of the olive oil.
- Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook until the beans are completely tender and beginning to fall apart. Add more water if the liquid level goes below the level of the beans.
- Transfer to the blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Adjust seasoning and keep warm until ready to serve or refrigerate for later use.
- Preheat the broiler on high. Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet, toss lightly with olive oil and broil until they blacken slightly on top and begin to pop open. Remove from the broiler and set aside.
- In a skillet, warm the olive oil and garlic together over medium heat until the garlic just begins to brown. Add the chile flakes, stir for 15 seconds and then add the basil leaves, stir them in and then finally stir in the blistered tomatoes and remove from heat.
- Place a large spoonful of the warm fava bean puree on the plate. Spoon the tomato-basil-garlic mixture over the puree.
- Grate Parmesan over the top and serve immediately.
SMART Search 2013 Sweepstakes
To enter the giveaway or find out more about the sweepstakes or to check out his Spicy Watermelon Salad with Feta Cheese and Mint recipe, please visit: http://babytoboomer.com/2013/07/05/smartfood/. To print/view his Honey-Blackberry Greek Yogurt Dip served with Smartfood Cinnamon Brown Sugar Multigrain Popped Chips or fresh fruit visit: https://babytoboomer.com/2013/07/06/greek-yogurt-dip/. For his savory Doritos Buffalo Cheddar King Ranch Chicken Recipe visit: http://babytoboomer.com/2013/07/07/doritos/