SMARTest Cities in America with Chef Jody Denton
Doritos Buffalo Cheddar King Ranch Chicken Recipe
Chef Denton is allowing us to share several of his recipes to celebrate that American’s are working at improving what they eat – here’s his third recipe.
- 1 whole roasted chicken, meat removed and cut into 1 inch cubes, bones and skin reserved
- 1 qt chicken stock
- ½ c Butter
- ½ c flour
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 2 - 4oz pkgs Hidden Valley Ranch Buttermilk Dressing Mix
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ c Franks Red Hot
- 1 10oz can Ro-Tel Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 1-1/2 cups Buttermilk
- ¾ of a 14oz bag Doritos Toasted Corn Chips
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- In a small sauce pot cover the chicken bones and skin with chicken stock and simmer for one hour; strain and discard the bones. Set the stock aside.
- In another saucepan melt the butter over medium heat and whisk in the flour to make a roux. Continue stirring for 5 minutes but do not brown the roux.
- Add the mushrooms, Ranch seasoning and pepper, cook 1 minute then add the chicken stock, whisking vigorously to avoid lumps. Bring to a simmer stirring frequently until the stock thickens.
- Add the Ro-Tel tomatoes and the Franks and simmer for 30 minutes, then add the buttermilk, bring to a boil and add the chicken meat and remove from the stove.
- In a casserole dish, lay down a healthy layer of Doritos and ladle about one third of the chicken mixture over it. Sprinkle with one third of the onions and cheese and then top with more chips and repeat twice. The top layer should be chips, onions and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until the top layer is light golden brown. Serve immediately or refrigerate and re-heat later.
This Smartfood Doritos Buffalo Cheddar King Ranch Chicken Recipe was provided by Frito-Lay.