Photos and the Monsters University Class Schedule used in this post were provided by Pixar and used with permission. I attended Monsters University as a guest of Disney • Pixar; however, all opinions are my own.
Attending Monsters University on the Pixar campus was a dream come true. That doesn’t mean it was all fun and games, certainly not. There were lectures, assignments, and even a final!
My Monsters University Class Schedule was as follows:
- ENGLISH 101: How to Tell a Great Story – Learn about the story process and how to draw a character from MU. Instructor: Kelsey Mann (Story Supervisor)
- SOCIOLOGY 203: The Deconstruction of a Character – Learn about the design of college-age Mike & Sulley, and creation & design of new characters in the film. Instructors: Ricky Nierva (Production Designer), Jason Deamer (Character Art Director) & Daniela Strijleva (Character Designer)
- ANTHROPOLOGY 152: Monsterizing the World – Learn about creating and “monsterizing” the world of MU Instructors: Dice Tsutsumi (Shading/Lighting Art Director) & Robert Kondo (Sets Art Director)
- DRAMATIC ARTS: Bringing a Character to Life – Learn how the animation process works, and view an animation demo on a linux machine. Instructor: Scott Clark (Supervising Animator)
- PHYSICS 250: Global Illumination – View a presentation on the use of Global Illumination in MU and The Blue Umbrella. Instructors: Jean-Claude (JC) Kalache (DP-Lighting), Sanjay Bakshi (Supervising Technical Director) & Christine Waggoner (Simulation Supervisor)
Learning about the art of animation was a fabulous look into the inside working of Pixar and its artists. The day culminated with a tour of the Pixar campus, at least the very small part of it that’s NOT top secret, but to say that these people play hard and work hard would be a fair assessment!
Over the next few days I’m going to share each class with you along with some great photos provided by Pixar from the classes. Then over the next few weeks I’ll share interviews I took part in during the event along with some photos I was able to snap. Plus watch for a review of “The Blue Umbrella” which is the short that will play with “Monsters University” when it hits the theaters on June 21, 2013.
Read all of my posts from this event here
Connect with Monsters University
- The Offial Webpage for Monsters University (enroll now! and shop for MU gear – so cool!)
- Official Facebook Page
- Official MU Movie Website
- Shop for Monsters University Products at DisneyStore.com