I remember well the days when my kids were little and we had food wars. I don’t miss those days at all, but seeing how my youngest son eats as an adult, it’s obvious we lost the war. We laugh that all his food is beige, but it’s really not funny. Even at 25, we’re still trying to get him to eat vegetables, but it didn’t have to be this hard.
That’s because Golden Grain has made a new pasta line that “hides” veggies within the pasta. Veggies that even this vegetarian won’t eat like squash and the best part is the pasta doesn’t have a weird taste – it’s still delicious!
I made one of the back-of-the-box recipes from their new Golden Grain Hidden Veggie Pasta boxes, but I changed it up to please both myself and my meat eaters, and it was a hit! Plus it took one pan and fifteen minutes for a dinner we all loved!
Here’s the original recipe Golden Grain Hidden Veggie Pasta Rosy Chicken & Penne Pasta and below is my reworked meat and meat-free version. Have you tried meat-free Monday? This would be a great one!
- 2 Tbl Olive Oil
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 2” x 4” pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 16 oz low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 12 oz Golden Grain Hidden Veggie Penne
- 1 24 oz jar prepared chunky spaghetti sauce (or homemade)
- ⅓ cup half and half
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded and divided
- 1 Tbl fresh basil, chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add oil to the hot pan.
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook until browned and internal temperature is 165 degrees (about 7 minutes total)
- Remove the chicken and keep warm. Clean the pan and return it to the stove (not necessary if you’re not making the vegetarian version).
- Add the vegetable broth and water to the pan; bring to a boil.
- Add the penne, turn heat to simmer, cover and cook 7-9 minutes (stirring every 2-3 minutes) or just until the pasta is al dente stage.
- Add spaghetti sauce, half and half, and ½ of the cheese. Stir until incorporated.
- Remove the vegetarian portion and add the chicken back to the pan.
- Sprinkle with reserved cheese and fresh basil
Taste Great – Fabulous Ingredients
But the best part about the hidden veggies? They do it without adding nasty artificial flavors or colors – I love that!
Ingredients: SEMOLINA, DRIED SWEET CORN, DRIED CARROT, DRIED SQUASH, NIACIN, FERROUS SULFATE (IRON), THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID.
But how could they improve the Golden Grain Hidden Veggie Pasta? Make it organic or at least GMO-free. But it’s still a great choice.
Where to Buy Golden Grain Pasta
I grew up with Golden Grain Pasta and thought everyone did. It turns out, they’re a west coast brand. Check out their website for the store finder to find a location near you. Here in Seattle they’re available at Safeway stores.
Connect With Golden Grain Pasta
Win a Years Worth of Golden Grain Pasta!
One lucky winner will receive 24 coupons for free pasta ($1.99 each, a $48 value!)