Here’s another of Allens Vegetables recipes for sweet potatoes to help celebrate Brain Awareness Month! This is a recipe takes the sweetness of sweet potatoes to a whole nother level! These upside down goodies use commercially prepared phyllo dough so they’re quick and easy. Thaw your dough per the instructions on the package and cover them with a damp paper towel to keep; them pliable for the best results.
Who knew having a sweet dessert could boost your brain health! They can because sweet potatoes have antioxidants, Vitamin A, and carotenoids which all work to keep your brain working well.
- 1 8 oz roll phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 (15 oz) can Princella or Royal Prince Sweet Potatoes, drained and mashed
- ¼ c brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ⅔ c half and half
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ⅓ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ c pecans, chopped
- ¼ c butter, divided
- ¼ c maple syrup
- ⅓ c brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spray 12 count muffin tin with cooking spray; set aside.
- In small bowl combine pecans, cup butter, maple syrup, and brown sugar.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar/pecan mixture into bottom of each cup; set aside.
- In a large bowl; combine sweet potatoes, sugar, egg, half and half, spices and vanilla. Stir by hand until well blended.
- In a large mixing bowl: beat cream cheese until smooth. Add one cup of the sweet potato mixture and continue to mix until smooth.
- Unroll phyllo. Remove single sheet and fold into 4th's. Place phyllo over muffin opening and gently press dough down onto pecan mixture.
- Place 1 teaspoon cream cheese/sweet potato mixture into bottom.
- Top with 2 Tbls of the plain sweet potato mixture.
- Fold phyllo over sweet potato mixture; brushing with remaining butter after each fold.
- Repeat until all muffin cups are filled.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip muffins over onto cookie sheet. Move to cooling rack.
- Serve warm with whipped cream if desired
Allens Vegetables provided this recipe and we’re happy to share. They’re family-owned and operated business that produces Popeye Spinach (another food high in Vitamin A), Veg-all, Princella Sweet Potatoes, Freshlike, Allens Butterfield, and Trappey’s, Don’ t have Allens Vegetables available locally? Use their online store and have them delivered directly to your home.
Get Social with Allens Vegetables
Additional Recipes For Sweet Potatoes
Want additional recipes for sweet potatoes? Visit the Allens Vegetable website and then check out ours:
- Meatless Vegetarian Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili Recipe (miscfinds4u.com)
- Savory Winter Vegetable Beef Stew with Vegetarian Options Recipe (miscfinds4u.com)
Are you a sweet potato lover? What’s your favorite recipe? I’ll admit that until a few years ago I thought the sweet potato had taste like the rutabagas, a vegetable I’ve detested the smell of since childhood, because of their shape and color. Luckily, I couldn’t have been more wrong. Now I try to add them to dishes as often as possible, usually swaping out half of the regular potatoes for the sweet version. I love their slight sweetness combined with salt. Yum
Do you have a childhood food you avoid? Mine is rutabagas and cauliflower. Two vegetables I’ll never, ever, ever eat!