“Won’t Back Down” is one of those movies people likely love or hate. It depends on how you feel about your public school. While this film is inspired by a true story, it has been Hollywoodized, so it’s not a documentary.
It is a story that on its own is appealing. A single mother taking on the system. Effectively a Samson and Goliath story filled with uncaring teachers, lazy parents, and uninterested kids. Maggie Gyllenhaal plays the mom who teams up with Viola Davis who tackles the role of a veteran teacher who’s talented, but worn-down after years of being in the system. The two of them realize that as team they’d be better able to tackle the bureaucracy that’s keeping Gyllenhaal’s character’s daughter from the education they believe she deserves.
This means they have to take on the teacher’s union as well which is represented by Holly Hunter. Hunter plays an idealist who can’t see that the union has become part of the problem that’s keeping the system broken.
The film is passionate and you will grow to care about the characters and there will be tears. Viola Davis has always been a favorite and she’s fabulous in her role and really graced the film with her amazing talents.
“Won’t Back Down” Details
- Actors: Viola Davis, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Holly Hunter, Oscar Isaac, Rosie Perez
- Directors: Daniel Barnz
- Writers: Daniel Barnz, Brin Hill
- Producers: Mark Johnson, Ron Schmidt, Tom Williams
Blu-Ray Special Features:
- Deleted Scenes with optional commentary by Director Daniel Barnz
- A Tribute to Teachers plus The Importance of Education
- Audio Commentary with Director Daniel Barnz
- Theatrical Trailer and Sneak Peek
- Ultraviolet Copy