Home cooks are always looking for the perfect comfort food cookbook. Here are two that fill the bill. Both are penned by celebrity chefs and each boasts a huge assortment of recipes.
Written by celebrity chef, Carla Hall, with Genevieve Ko. Hall won the fan-favorite prize on Bravo’s Top Chef All-Stars season. She’s currently a co-host on The Chew, a daytime talk show on ABC that celebrates all things food. Hall puts her love of southern cooking in this new book where she also shares her philosophy on feeding others with love. She provides us with some of her family recipes as well as some new healthier alternatives to traditional southern food.
The book is sprinkled with tales of Hall’s youth and the time spent learning her craft. If you’re a fan, you’ll especially love all the insight into this chef’s world. Recipes run from sweet to savory with a few in between. I would have loved to have seen more photos of the finished dishes, but those that are provided are well done.
Buddy Valastro made a name for himself on TLC’s TV series Cake Boss focused on his bakery in Hoboken where he and his crew get into some sweet messes. But in this book he let’s us know that sweets aren’t his only accomplishment. In his newest cookbook, Valastro shares his Italian heritage with us in the form of recipes that include Baked Ziti with Creamy Mortadella Sauce, Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli, and his famous “Sunday Gravy” which to us Northwest cooks is spaghetti sauce.
Each recipe includes a paragraph or so of Buddy’s thoughts, tips, or memories of the recipe. The book is a bit stark and there aren’t a lot of photos. I supposed it’s more evident after reading Chef Hall’s book which is quite homey. There are plenty of recipes that will be a hit at your family table so despite the bland style, the recipes will likely win you over.
These are great gifts for the foodie in the family. Purchase your favorite at your local book retailer or as well as online.
- Gift Suggestions: Cookbooks for the Foodie on your Christmas List (miscfinds4u.com)
- Put Your Kids in the Kitchen with this Chef Boyardee Little Chefs Prize Pack! #littlechefs (miscfinds4u.com)
- We’re Featured! Chef Boyardee LITTLE CHEFS Project eBook (miscfinds4u.com)
- Recipe: Upside Pear Crunch Coffee Cake by Chef Elizabeth Falkner (miscfinds4u.com)
- Seattle Windows 8 and UrbanSpoon Lunch with Chef Rauturea at Luc #GIVEAWAY (miscfinds4u.com)
- Celebrating Time Together with Family Board Game Night #CBias #MealsTogether (miscfinds4u.com)