Recipe: Aged Cheddar and Bacon in Puff Pastry
Summary: These easy appetizers or hors d’oeuvres can be assembled early in the day and warmed just before serving. Made with purchased puffed pastry, it doesn’t get any easier. Everyone needs quick and easy appetizer recipes that can be made in a few minutes and this is one of them!
Makes 24 pieces
- 2 Tbls flour
- 12 x 12 in frozen puff pastry sheet, defrosted
- 1 medium egg yolk
- 6 oz sliced bacon cut into 1-½” pieces
- 3 Tbl Dijon mustard
- 7 oz Kerrygold Aged Cheddar cheese – cut into 2″ x 2″ x 1/8″ squares
- Heat oven to 375˚ F.
- On a floured work surface cut the puff pastry into 24 scalloped or straight-edged 2-inch rounds with a cookie or biscuit cutter.
- Combine the egg yolk with 2 tsp water. With a pastry brush, cover the top of each piece of pastry.
- Bake according to puff pastry package instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, cook the bacon until lightly browned but not not too crispy.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- To assemble, carefully cut the puff pastries in half horizontally with a serrated knife.
- Spread all of the pastry rounds with a small amount of mustard. Top the bottom round with a piece of bacon and then cheese. Add a second piece of bacon and then another mustard covered pastry round to complete the bite.
- Arrange the assembled bites on a cookie sheet and place in a warm oven (275˚F) for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese begins to melt.
- Variation: Instead of bacon and mustard, spread puff pastry with fruit chutney.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Microformatting by hRecipe.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Kerrygold and used with permission.