Recipe: Sugar Cookies on a Stick
Summary: This holiday baking recipe is a kid-friendly Sugar Cookie on a Stick which is totally customizable and the perfect holiday treat. Make them interesting shapes, color half of the dough and make pinwheels, or frost after baking. They’re very versatile and can be enjoyed for days if stored in an air-tight container.
- 1-½ cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 medium eggs
- ¼ cup Karo Light Corn Syrup
- 1-½ tsp real vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Argo Baking Powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 20 Craft sticks or ice pop sticks
- Combine sugar and shortening in a large bowl; beat at medium speed with electric mixture until well mixed.
- Add eggs, corn syrup and vanilla; beat until well blended and fluffy.
- Gradually add flour, baking powder and salt to creamed mixture at low speed. Mix until just blended.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour before baking. It can also be made the day ahead and baked just before serving.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Cover baking sheet with parchment paper, silicon mat, or non-stick cooking spray.
- Shape dough into walnut-size balls then push craft sticks into the center of each ball.
- Place balls, with stick parallel to the baking sheet, 3 inches apart and flatten cookies into 2½-inch circles with the bottom of a glass dipped in granulated sugar.
- Sprinkle with sanding sugar or other decorations before baking.
- Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, or until slightly browned around the edges. Don’t overbake.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before placing on wire rack to cool completely.
- When cookies are cool, wrap in plastic wrap and tie with a ribbon OR place in airtight container.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12