Summary: This recipe was created by Louanne Bertrand, a popular food blogger at Louanne’s Kitchen. She’s a librarian by day and wanna-be chef. Louanne says, “This recipe, like many others I share on my blog, is my own, based on culinary memories from my childhood.” Like me, she recommends keeping a jar or two of maraschino cherries in your pantry to add color and flavor to baked goods. I also use them in plain vanilla yogurt and as a low-calorie sweet snack.
Because of the additives found in most maraschino’s, I only buy the Tillen Farms Natural Maraschino Cherries from the NaturalCandyStore.com. The prices on Amazon are double the price here. Tillen Farms’ maraschino cherries are sweet and delicious without the artificial colors and flavors of the brands found at most grocery stores. They’re list of ingredients are on pare with how I like to eat: Cherries, water, sugar, vegetable and fruit concentrate (color), natural flavor. Nothing I can’t pronounce or have to look up in a dictionary. While you’re shopping at NaturalCandyStore.com, get the jar of caramel sauce for ice cream. It’s the most amazing jar of goodness. I rarely eat ice cream, I just have a spoonful of this and life is good :).
Recipe: Cherry Pecan Chews Cookie Recipe
- 2½ cups flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1½ tsp real vanilla extract
- ½ tsp real almond extract
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup finely chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 cup toasted and finely chopped pecans
- Note: The dough must chill before baking; preheat oven to 350º F when ready to bake.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together; set aside.
- Cream together butter, sugar, vanilla and almond until fluffy.
- Beat in egg.
- Mix in cherries and pecans.
- Add flour mixture, mixing until well incorporated.
- Pat dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper, and chill for at least 1 hour, although overnight is best.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray.
- Using a small cookie scoop, portion dough onto prepared baking sheet, spacing cookies 2” apart.
- Bake for 11−12 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges.
- Allow cookies to cool for at least 5 minutes on the pan before removing to a cooling rack.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 12 minute(s)