This is a vegetarian-friendly mousse so it’s perfect for us (most mousse recipes call for gelatin which is not a vegetarian ingredient). Plus it’s delicious!
Serve in up to 12 shot glasses or 8 – 2.5 oz shooter glasses. Use great quality chocolate for the best taste and real whipping cream. You could use non-dairy topping if you’re in a hurry (you know that stuff you find in the freezer section that has to be thawed before using), but this is so much better with real cream, butter, and vanilla and definitely not as sweet.
Check out all of our dessert bar recipes and tips.
Recipe: Easy Chocolate Mousse Shooters
- 1 Tbsp butter, softened
- 8 graham crackers (about 1/2 cup crumbs)
- 1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ tsp real vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 4 oz dark baking chocolate, good quality, melted
- 1 cup whipping cream (heavy cream)
- 1 Tbsp confectioner’s sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- Chocolate shavings, whipped cream, or fresh fruit for garnish (optional)
- In a food processor: crush graham crackers and add softened butter until well combined.
- Place approximately 1 teaspoon of crust in the bottom of each 2.5 oz shoot(er) glass; set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, with electric mixer, beat softened cream cheese and vanilla until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine melted chocolate and milk until creamy.
- Add chocolate to cream cheese mixture, mix thoroughly, scrapping down the sides; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whip cream, confectioners sugar, and vanilla extract until peaks form.
- Gently fold whipped topping into chocolate cream cheese mixture.
- Fill each glass to the top with the chocolate mousse (piped or spooned)
- Garnish with a dollop of whipped topping, chocolate shavings, or fresh fruit if desired.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Can you make the mousse part a day ahead of time then fill the day of the party?
No, but you make make the mousse the day ahead, put it in the glasses, then cover and refrigerate them.
Yummmm! I want to make those!
Soooooooooooooooooo good. Use really good quality chocolate though (not chocolate chips or cheap chocolate). You’ll be glad you did 😉
Yes please. That looks so good!
I love that this is vegetarian!
I know, right! I hate having to ask all the time if desserts are vegetarian only to have the person look at me like I’m nuts. It’s amazing how many people don’t know that gelatin is animal products and it’s in everything – marshmallows, yogurt, mousse 🙂