Fall means baking to me. It’s time to turn on the oven and fill the house with the great smell of chocolate, spices, and more. I got a chance to try out a new frosting product by Cool Whip, but I needed it to be a quick and easy recipe so I picked up a chocolate cake mix, almond extract, raspberry pie filling, almonds, and both the chocolate and vanilla flavored Cool Whip Frosting from my local Walmart.
What was the occasion? Wednesday! I probably should have made them for my 29th wedding anniversary which we celebrated on Monday, but I don’t need a celebration to make cake. Cake is a vehicle for frosting which is my true love!
So what does Cool Whip Frosting taste like? A combination of Cool Whip and frosting – cold, light, and sweet. The chocolate tastes like chocolate mousse and is pretty darn good right off the spoon.
Cool Whip Frosting is found in the freezer section and requires thawing before use and refrigeration of the cake/cupcakes after frosting. My recipe made 18 cupcakes which went to the fire station – the guys loved them!
Check out my shopping trip and all the goodies I brought home on my Google + page.
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (butter recipe)
- 1-1/2 tsp almond extract, divided
- 1 cup raspberry pie filling
- Almonds (garnish)
- Cool Whip Frosting (chocolate, vanilla, or both)
- Make the cake according to the box directions adding 1 tsp almond extract to the batter.
- In a separate bowl, add the remaining ½ tsp almond extract to raspberry pie filling; stir. Set aside.
- Fill cupcake ½ full with batter
- Spoon 1 tsp raspberry filling in center of cupcake
- Add a tsp of batter on top to cover filling.
- Bake according to package directions for cupcakes
- Allow to cool
- Frost by piping Cool Whip frosting with plastic bag (corner snipped) to form a nest for more raspberry filling if desired.
- Top with almonds
- Refrigerate. Store up to 3 days in the refrigerator or freeze for up to 1 month tightly wrapped.
I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community. This content has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Kraft Cool Whip. #CoolWhipFrosting #CBias #SocialFabric – All opinions are my own.