Recipe: Lightened Brandied Pumpkin Pie
Summary: Jennifer Lynn Bice, owner of Green Valley Organics, prepares her version of a classic southern pumpkin pie. She lightens the calorie load by using lactose-free plain kefir instead of the heavy cream or evaporated milk most recipes call for. Her version is modified from a recipe found in “The Heritage of Southern Cooking” written by Camille Glenn.
- One unbaked pie crust (homemade or prepared)
- 1 cup canned or fresh cooked pumpkin
- 1 cup Green Valley Organics lactose free plain kefir OR 1 cup Green Valley Organics Sour Cream
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 cup brandy
- Whipped cream or sour cream (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a 9” pie pan with the pie crust. Trim the edge. Cover with aluminum foil and weigh it down with dried beans. Place in oven for approximately 15 min. Remove from oven and remove beans and foil. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, add the pumpkin, kefir, and eggs – beat thoroughly with a whisk.
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Mix well
- Add the sugar mixture into the pumpkin mixture – mix until incorporated.
- Add the brandy and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon filling into partially baked pie crust.
- Place the pie on the lower shelf of the oven and bake 8 minutes.
- Reduce oven temp to 350°F and continue baking until a knife inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold, with whipped cream or sour cream sprinkled with fresh nutmeg
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 50 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Recipe and photo credit: Organic Valley and reprinted with permission