Recipe: Coconut Shrimp with Maui Mustard Sauce
- 18 unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 TBLS chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 TBLS fresh lime juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup beer
- 1 (7-ounce) package sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- Peanut oil
Maui Mustard Sauce Recipe
- 1/3 cup pineapple preserves
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- 1/4 cup stone-ground mustard
- Peel the shrimp, but leave the tails intact.
- Butterfly your shrimp by making a deep slit down the back of each from the large end to the tail, cutting to, but not through, inside curve of shrimp. (or skip the last two steps and buy peeled and deviened fresh shrimp)
- Stir together coconut milk, cilantro, and lime juice in a large bowl. Add shrimp, tossing gently to coat.
- Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Drain shrimp from mixture (do not pat dry).
- Make the mustard by stirring together all of the dip ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and chill.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and beer.
- Combine coconut and breadcrumbs in a shallow dish.
- Dip shrimp into beer batter; dredge in coconut mixture, pressing onto shrimp.
- Place shrimp on a baking sheet; freeze 20 minutes.
- Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven, and heat to 350°.
- Cook shrimp, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden.
- Drain on paper towels, and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Serve immediately with Maui Mustard Sauce.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Win a MyRecipes America’s Favorite Food Cookbook!
a Rafflecopter giveaway