Recipe: Herbed Mustard and Lemon Potato Salad
Summary: This potato salad is different from the traditional mayonnaise-based salad recipes usually enjoyed in summer. This one is flavored with some great grainy brown mustard, some fabulous fresh lemon juice, and olive oil. Use good quality olive oil for the best taste and make this ahead and refrigerate it so the flavors have a chance to really incorporate themselves throughout the salad.
Great with sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, or anything else from the grill. It can be made with leftover potatoes or with potatoes made the night before. I made this with chicken recipe which called for similar ingredients so that the fresh herbs wouldn’t go to waste. The chicken was served for dinner the first night with the leftover peas and the salad the next day with some leftover chicken and baked beans in the hubby’s lunch. I’d planned on making him a crusty roast beef sandwich for his lunch but he ate the loaf of bread for dinner! This salad packs well and holds it shape (if you don’t overcook the potatoes) plus since you don’t have to peel the potatoes, it’s fast and easy.
- 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, cooked and quartered (bite sized pieces)
- 1 -1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp chives, snipped
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 Tbl olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon (2-3 Tbls)
- 1 -1/2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Cook and quarter red potatoes if you’ve not prepared them ahead of time. Potatoes should be completely cool before combining with other ingredients
- Place the potatoes, peas, scallions, dill, chives, and thyme in a large bowl.
- Season the potato mixture with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix olive oil, lemon juice, and brown mustard. Mix until well incorporated.
- Drizzle dressing over potato salad and gently toss to combine all ingredients.
- Refrigerate at least an hour up to overnight for the best taste.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
More recipes you may be interested in: