Recipe: Maria’s Homemade Spinach Quinoa Mediteraneo
Summary: Recipe provided by Maria Zoitas, wife of Westside Market NYC’s founder John Zoitas, and creator of the Made by Maria line of prepared foods available at Westside Market NYC.
- 2 Tlb Olive Oil
- 1 bunch scallions, washed and chopped
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, washed and chopped
- 1 bunch anise, washed and chopped
- 1 bunch dill, washed and chopped
- 6 cups water
- 8 oz Quinoa
- 4 cups spinach, washed
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- In saucepan on medium heat olive oil. Once hot, saute onions, parsley, anise, and dill.
- When onions are translucent, add 3 cups of water and heat for 5 minutes.
- Add quinoa and cook for 15 minutes (stir occasionally).
- Add spinach and cook until wilted
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Serving Suggestion: Serve with cherry tomatoes, green salad, and crusty bread
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Quinoa has become hot and specialty grocery stores like Westside Market NYC, have noticed the trend. Westside Market NYC has four locations in the greater New York area and they’ve seen an uptick of purchases of quinoa over the last few years. By who eats quinoa? Anyone looking to get a protein packed grain that includes calcium and iron. It’s an easy way to go meat-free and still have a stomach satisfying meal that’s healthy too!
By the way, quinoa is pronounced keen-wah and it’s prized for its versatility in recipes and its mild taste which takes on the flavors of the other ingredients it’s prepared with. Chicken or vegetable stock can be substituted for water in this recipe for another way to prepare this easy dish.
Check out the Artisanal Kitchen for more recipes like BBQ chicken topped with caramelized red onions made with The Artisanal Kitchen Aceto Balsamico di Modena, Bamboo-Ginger Rice Salad, and Baked Apple with Maple Syrup, Pecans, and Raisins.
Recipe provided by Westside Market NYC; we were not compensated for this post.