One more lightened recipe from Eating Light. This is a lightened version of a popular bacon and cornbread stuffing. At only 374 calories a serving, it won’t break your diet.
Recipe: Light Stuffed Pork Chops
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 8 oz mustard greens, stems removed and leaves torn into small pieces
- 1 cup finely diced cornbread*
- 3 oz sharp Cheddar cheese, finely diced
- 1 T Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 8 boneless pork loin chops (8 oz each), 1-¼ inches thick
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 T olive oil
- In large skillet or Dutch oven on low, cook bacon slowly until bacon is crisp; drain on paper towels.
- Discard all but 1 T bacon drippings from skillet.
- Add shallots and garlic – cook on medium heat 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add greens; cover pan tightly and cook 7 to 9 minutes, stirring twice. Once greens are tender, remove from head and cool completely.
- Stir in cornbread, bacon, Parmesan, and Cheddar.
- Prepare chops – with a sharp knife, make a horizontal 1′ incision on meaty side of each chop. Carefully enlarge the pocket all the way back of the chop, being careful not to cut all the way through. Stuff each chop with a heaping ¼-cup of cornbread stuffing.
- Preheat over to 375°F.
- Season both sides of each chop with salt and pepper
- Close the pocket openings with toothpicks.
- In large ovenproof skillet, heat oil; add chops a few at a time and cook 2 minutes per side, or until browned. When all the chops are browned, cover skillet and transfer it to the oven; bake 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 155°F on a meat thermometer (be sure you’re checking the meat and not the filling).
- Remove the chops to a serving platter; cover with foil and let stand for at least 5 minutes. Garnish with oven roasted vegetables.
- Remove toothpicks before serving.
*Diced cornbread – purchased or homemade cornbread, corn muffin, or toaster corncake.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
This recipe is just one of quite a few available within Eating Light’s summer edition. It includes recipes from from many of your favorite women’s magazines and the best part is all of them are under 400 calories per serving! Nothing but skinny takes on lots of family favorite recipes.
Get this special edition for $9.99 at supermarkets, bookstores, or purchase the digital version at Nook.bn.com or Zinio.com .
Photo and recipe courtesy of Hearst Magazines and used with permission.
Additional lower calorie recipes: