I love caramel and I love apples, but I love them best together. Bake the apples and I’m in heaven. Here’s a caramel apple pie recipe that combines the best of both and adds nuts to the mix! I’m not a pie fan myself, but with the right filling even I’ll eat a slice of pie!
Granny Smith apples are my favorite for baking, but you can also use Golden Delicious or any other baking apple. Always wash your apples before peeling to remove pesticides and wax or better yet, use organic. They still need to be washed, but they’re grown in a more environmentally-friendly manner with safer chemicals which benefits us all.
- Apple Pie:
- Pastry for double-crust pie (homemade or purchased)
- 4-6 large cooking apples like Granny Smiths (should yield approximately 8 cups peeled and sliced)
- ⅓ cup Karo® Dark Corn Syrup
- 3 T butter, melted
- 3 T granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 T Argo or Kingsford’s Corn Starch
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- Caramel Glaze:
- ¼ c brown sugar, firmly packed
- ¼ c chopped pecans
- 3 T Karo Dark Corn Syrup
- 2 T butter, melted
- 1 T Argo or Kingsford’s Corn Starch
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Place one pie crust in the bottom of a 9½-inch deep-dish pie plate. Add apple slices. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine corn syrup, butter, sugar, corn starch, cinnamon and salt. Mix until incorporated and then pour over apples.
- Top the apple mixture with the second pie crust. Fold the edges under, seal, and flute with a fork or by hand. Cut a several small slits in top crust to vent.
- Place the pie pan on a baking sheet or piece of foil to catch any drips. Bake on the middle rack in the over for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the crust is browned and the apples are tender. Should the crust edges start to over-brown before the filling is baked, cover them loosely with foil.
- While the pie is baking, combine the caramel glaze ingredients in a small bowl. Remove the pie from the oven and carefully spread the topping over the hot crust.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes or until topping is bubbly.
- Sam’s Club Simply Delicious Meal: Caramel Apple Pork Chops (mommymusings.com)
- Pumpkin Pie Crunch Recipe for Macy’s #RecipeShare (lifewithlisa.com)
- Recipe: Valley Fig Growers Chewy Ginger Molasses Fig Cookie (aimlesscurator.com)