Cinnamon rolls are a great treat and while making them in the bread machine certainly makes them easier, they still take about 3 hours from start to finish so set aside a chunk of time to accomplish them.
You can make them through the first rise then complete the directions through the roll and cut phase and instead of doing the second rise, flash freeze the rolls (place them on foil or waxed paper baking sheets, make sure they’re not touching, and put them in the freezer for about 3 hours or until they’re firm enough to handle. Wrap them individually in freezer bags being sure to get out as much air as possible).
Or do what I do and place them inside freezer-safe aluminum foil pans with lids – freeze, thaw, rise, and bake in the same pan!
When you’re ready to bake, take them out of the freezer, unwrap, and place them in the pan you’ll be cooking them in. Put them in the refrigerator overnight to thaw and rise until they’re doubled in size and then bake normally and you’ll have fresh, hot, homemade cinnamon rolls in about 15 minutes.
The cream cheese frosting can also be made ahead and frozen – thaw and add to warm cinnamon rolls, brownies, or eat it from a spoon…I won’t tell!
Here’s my bread machine – I LOVE it – Zojirushi BBCCX20 Home Bakery Supreme Bread Machine.
- 1 cup milk (warmed to 110 F)
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup butter, softened and cut into small pieces
- 4-1/2 cups bread flour (not all-purpose flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2-1/2 tsp Active Dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 Tbl Saigon Cinnamon
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup salted butter
- 3-1/2 cups powered confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Warm the milk. Place dough ingredients in your breadmaker in the order recommended - generally in this order: milk, eggs, butter, flour, salt, sugar, and in a small well not touching the salt, sugar, or liquid, place the yeast.
- Select the white bread dough cycle. If your machine has an "add" alarm, check the dough. Poking it with a finger should result in a dent that fills in after a minute. Too stiff? Add a tablespoon of milk. Too soft? Add a tablespoon of flour. I've never had to do either with this recipe.
- Allow the bread machine to complete the mix and rise cycle (approximately 1 hr). Dough should have doubled in size. If not and your kitchen is cool, turn your oven on to the lowest possible setting and place the dough inside covered with a towel. Allow the dough to continue its rise. Don't allow it to over proof - just doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface or silpat. Roll out to about 21" long x 16" wide in a rectangle shape. In a food processor, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, and nuts just until everything is combined. Stir the raisins in by hand.
- Pour the filling out onto the dough and gently pat it into the dough - keep the filling 1" away from all edge.
- Start rolling from the long edge and keeping it as tight as possible without squeezing out all of the filling. Cut into 12 rolls by cutting into quarters first, then cutting each quarter into 3 rolls (I use unflavored dental floss to cut the cinnamon rolls)
- 2nd Rise & Baking
- Prepare a 9x13" pan with Cooking Spray. (See freezer instructions above if you'll be freezing all or some of the rolls). Rolls will double in size so don't place them side by side and give them room to grow.
- Cover with a towel and allow to rise 30-60 minutes or until doubled in size (rise time depends on room temperature - if your room is cold, use the oven method above).
- Preheat oven to 400 (375 for glass pan). Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- In large mixing bowl beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar and finally vanilla.
- Frost warm rolls immediately or freeze in small containers for use later. Use within 3 months of freezing.
Additional Bread Machine Recipes:
- OAMC Pizza Buns Delicious Any Way You Make Them – My Vegetarian Version
- OAMC Filled Sandwich Roll with Organicville Stone Ground Mustard
- Homemade Wheat Buns from the Breadmaker for OAMC Breakfast Sandwiches
- The Best of the Web: Pumpkin Dessert Recipes – Cake, Pie, Cookies, and Pudding (aimlesscurator.com)
- Southern Style Holiday Recipes Inspired by DreamWorks’ “The Help” (aimlesscurator.com)
- Top 13 Gluten-free Pumpkin Recipes – Cake, Cookies, Pie, Donuts (aimlesscurator.com)