These onion and potato latkes are going to be added to our holiday breakfast buffet this year! Apples, onions, and sour cream? Sounds fabulous! And they’re easy to make and you can change the flavors to suit your family’s tastes. Plus, these can be made the day ahead and stored in the refrigerator until it’s time to serve. Then just crisp them in a 400 F oven for 10 minutes.
Want another way to serve these? Top them with Canadian bacon, sauteed spinach, a poached egg, and hollandaise sauce for your own Latke Benedicts. Or make these heartier with slow-roasted port, pinto beans, salsa, sour cream, avocado, cilantro, and lime for a south-of-the-border version.
Want more great recipes? Check out the Green Valley Organics recipe page.
- 1 (12 oz.) container Green Valley Organics Lactose Free Sour Cream
- ⅔ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbs. brown sugar or 1 Tbs. agave nectar, to taste
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 unpeeled apple, cored and shredded
- 4 russet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and shredded
- 1 medium red onion, shredded
- ⅓ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, whisked
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- chives for garnish
- Mix sour cream, applesauce, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt together.
- Roll shredded apple in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out excess water.
- Stir drained apple shreds into the sour cream mixture. Adjust seasonings to taste and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Roll shredded potato and onion in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out excess water. Place in a large mixing bowl. Add flour and salt. Toss to coat evenly.
- Stir in eggs, mixing to coat evenly.
- Line two baking sheets with paper towels.
- Heat ¼ cup oil in a large sauté pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Form a ½ cup of the latke mixture into a ball, press into a ½-inch thick patty and place in skillet. Make enough latkes to fill the pan without overcrowding.
- Cook each side about 3 to 4 minutes, until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel-lined baking sheets.,,Add more oil, if needed and repeat until the latke batter is used up.
- Garnish with chives and serve warm with Cinnamon Apple Sour Cream.
- Southern Style Holiday Recipes Inspired by DreamWorks’ “The Help” (aimlesscurator.com)
- Cinnamon-Raisin Muffins with Streusel Topping (faithfullyfrugal-and-free.com)
- Recipe: Perfect Fall Treat – Vanilla Cinnamon Baked Apples (miscfinds4u.com)
- Sesame Street’s Ernie’s Kid-Friendly Marble Cake Recipe (princesstimetoys.com)
- The Best of the Web: Pumpkin Dessert Recipes – Cake, Pie, Cookies, and Pudding (aimlesscurator.com)
- Redwood Hill and Green Valley Organics Great for Back-to-School Lunches (miscfinds4u.com)
- Recipe: Caramelized Onion and Sherried Mushroom Holiday Dip (miscfinds4u.com)