Eggnog is one of those polarizing holiday drinks – people either love it or hate it. And those that love it, love it the way they’re used to it, and they’re not interested in trying a new recipe because it just won’t taste right. And it spans the generations – it’s not just us old people that like it. With Starbucks selling Eggnog Lattes and other fast food restaurants serving eggnog shakes, it’s hit the mainstream.
Still, there’s the whole controversy over whether or not to drink eggnog with raw eggs in it or not. The old-school people swear that it’s been done for ages and no one’s died from it, and other insist it has to be made with pasteurized or cooked eggs. I’m in the second camp and prefer to limit my chances of getting ill.
Green Valley Organics has come up with a recipe that brings the eggs up to a temperature to make them safe and they use Kefir so it’s lactose-free, but still tastes great. So get out to the kitchen and make yourself some of this lactose-free eggnog – it’s the holidays!
- 1-1/2 cups Green Valley Organics Lactose Free Plain Kefir
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tsp Bourbon Vanilla
- 3 eggs
- Whip eggs until incorporated - pour into a heavy sauce pan.
- Add sugar, vanilla and eggs and cook over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes - stirring often - until the mixture coats a metal spoon.
- Pour mixture into a glass bowl. Set the bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Serve the eggnog in festive glasses and garnish with cinnamon and/or nutmeg a candy cane.
Photo credit: Green Valley – recipe & photo reprinted with permission
- Pumpkin Pie Crunch Recipe for Macy’s #RecipeShare (lifewithlisa.com)
- Redwood Hill and Green Valley Organics Great for Back-to-School Lunches (miscfinds4u.com)
- Reduced Sodium Holiday Cranberry Spice Cake Recipe (miscfinds4u.com)
- Recipe: Holiday Turkey Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes “Cupcakes” (miscfinds4u.com)
- The Best of the Web: Pumpkin Dessert Recipes – Cake, Pie, Cookies, and Pudding (aimlesscurator.com)
- Recipe: Nueva Cocina Easy Pumpkin Fiesta Rice Side Dish (aimlesscurator.com)