This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of Hass Avocado Board featuring Hass Avocados for SocialSpark. All opinions are 100% mine.
I LOVE Avocados. My favorite way to eat them? In vegetarian sushi with cucumbers. But since I’m no good at making sushi, I’ve found another way I can enjoy them that’s very similar and just as delicious, but so much easier!
This Avocado & Black Bean Salad is the perfect side dish to baked or BBQ chicken or any other meat dish (faux chicken for me) or even pour it over your chicken for a refreshing main dish! Serve it on a bed of lettuce with sliced chicken for a quick lunch, or put it inside a pita or tortilla for a light lunch or dinner entree.
I love this recipe so much I entered it in the Haas Avocado recipe contest. They want the best game-day recipes using avocados. We don’t watch sports in our household but if we did, I’d certainly serve this salad. So why enter if we’re not football fans? Because the grand prize is a trip to the Rose Bowl and that’s a trip to California with a behind-the-scenes visit to the Rose Bowl Parade prep, California sightseeing tour, and bandfest. As a band-geek, that’s a trip to heaven and oh yea, there’s a football game, too.
Here’s the recipe I entered. Entry was easy – you just need a Facebook account and then just provide some basic information like name and email an then upload your photo and enter your recipe. It took about 7 minutes to enter because I’d already typed the recipe out here.
Got a better one and want to try your hand at the contest too? Enter your best Avocado recipe at Kick Off with Hass Avocados Recipe Contest If I don’t win I’d love one of you to! Leave a comment below if you enter – if you’re chosen as a semi-finalist I’ll go vote for you!
Avocado & Black Bean Salad (Vegetarian)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (11 oz) can Mexicorn, drained or 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen nibblets
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 large Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup black olives, sliced or chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or salt substitute)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl place the chopped avocado and toss with lime juice. Add the rest of the salad ingredients and carefully combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour so the flavors can marry before serving. It can be made the night before and makes great leftovers.
- Hass Avocado Recipes (avocadocentral.com)
- How to Eat Hass Avocados (avocadocentral.com)
- Welcome to AvocadoCentral.com – Get Avocado Recipes, Nutrition Facts & More! (avocadocentral.com)
- Ground Beef Tacos with a Zesty Guacamole (thedailymeal.com)
- Ways to Include More Avocado in a Healthy Diet (diet-blog.com)
- 8 Healthy Facts About Avocadoes (webmd.com)