I spent the day today with 7 other bloggers from around the US at the Domino’s Pizza headquarters in Ann Arbor, MI. It’s located in the Domino’s Farm Office Park, an amazing grouping of buildings on some gorgeous property.
First, Ann Arbor is beautiful and even though the weather was grey and cloudy, the fall colors made up for it. We covered so much today and I’ll be sharing a lot of it with you over the next week here and on MomStart.com, but as I prepare to fly home in the morning, I want to share with you some things I discovered today while on the press event that surprised me.
5 Things I Didn’t Know About Domino’s Pizza
- The headquarters in Ann Arbor, shares their campus with geese, sheep, Watusi cows (a rare breed from Africa with huge horns), buffalo (don’t worry, the wild buffalo’s are not used in buffalo wings ;-), and other wildlife. There is a Domino’s Petting Zoo that sadly we drove past so quickly I wasn’t able to get a photo. It’s a beautiful little site that has fun activities for kids and adults.
- Pizza dough is made fresh throughout the country at the Domino’s Distribution Centers 4-6 days a week and the dough is made and in the store within 24-hrs. Ingredients? Flour, oil, yeast, water, salt, sugar, and a few secret ingredients (but NO dough extenders!). The dough is kept chilled from the time it’s mixed at the Distribution Center until it hits the pie pan at the local store.
- The Pizza Tracker is real and in real time and when you leave comments on the Pizza Tracker for your store, they actually see your comments! More themes are coming along with a new 3-D talking character named Pizza Pete.
- Domino’s is sold around the world and in Japan the most popular topping is squid.
- The worst part of the day for me…..I found out their white Alfredo pizza sauce is not vegetarian. It’s made with chicken stock. Luckily I’m not the only vegetarian who was shocked and saddened and they’re working on reformulating it and the website to make it easier for vegetarians to know what they’re ordering. I do give them kudos that all of the ingredients used in their pizzas with the exception of peppers are sourced from the US!
So those the top five things off the top of my head. I’m tired and ready for bed. I can’t wait to share more with you about our trip.
- Domino’s Pizza Press Trip – Day 1 – I Suck at Travel #dominos (miscfinds4u.com)
- Domino’s Pizza USA – Free iPhone App (itunes.apple.com)