John McLemore’s cookbook, “Dadgum That’s Good!,” is meant for the cook that likes to fry it, boil it, steam it, or smoke it. The recipes make use of Masterbuilt equipment so it’s probably a must-have for their customers. Sadly, I don’t have a smoker, steamer, or fryer so many of the recipes would be hard for me to replicate at home. They’re also sized for families or parties so the quantities are huge.
Since 1973, the McLemore family business, Masterbuilt, has developed cooking products and recipes to make your life simple. “Dadgum That’s Good!” brings you more than 125 professionally-tested smoking, grilling, frying, boiling and steaming recipes, including 16 of John McLemore’s signature recipes. Plus you’ll find tips on: how to choose cuts of meat, fish, and poultry, keeping your pantry stocked with essential items, and getting the most out of your ingredients. Although particular products in this cookbook are recommended, you can make these recipes on products you already own.
Still there were a few recipes that I think I’ll try out soon. One is the Low Country Boil. It’s a simple recipe with small whole potatoes, shrimp, sausage, corn on the cob, and a simple seasoning. I think it’s a dish I could make in quantity and then freeze in single servings. For those of you with a smoker, there are some great recipes like Smoked Potato Salad which sounds amazing. It’s got me wondering if we shouldn’t invest in a smoker some time down the road. The slow cooked meats and sides would be a lot of fun to make.
The book is done in a down-home style and the recipe photos are stunning. I love a book that’s a treat for the eyes and it gets me thinking about how I could change up the recipe and make it mine. Cookbooks without pictures just feel sterile to me.
The forward is written by Paula Deen and you can rest assured that any cookbook she puts her name in is full of fat and flavor and you’ll find that here. But you’ll also find some lean grilled cuts of meat and veggies to balance it out. Curious about the recipes? Check out the “Dadgum, That’s Good” website for a list of Free Recipes including some Masterbuilt originals. I’m sure the deep fried ice cream is a hit, but I’ll pass on that one.
Photo credit: ©Masterbuilt (my apologies – I took photos but have gotten a new computer and they’re currently missing in the transfer of files)
- Review: Dinner is Ready Cookbook – 30 Meals in One Day Recipes (miscfinds4u.com)
- Labor Day grilling: how to smoke a meatloaf (thismamacooks.com)
- Summer Reading Review Week – Here’s What’s Coming Up (miscfinds4u.com)
- REVIEW: The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Easy Freezer Meals (miscfinds4u.com)
- Quick and Easy Dinnertime Recipe Help from Chef Eisel for Bob Evans Farms (miscfinds4u.com)
- Recipe: Texas Type A Mom’s Homemade Buttermilk Banana Bread (miscfinds4u.com)
- Homemade Low-Fat Vegetarian Baked Spring Rolls Recipe (miscfinds4u.com)
- Blueberries – Nature’s Little Blue Dynamos are in Season! (miscfinds4u.com)