Download and print the template and use it to trace your pieces. Kids will enjoy making a room freshener that celebrates one of CARS 2‘s most popular characters!
- Lightning McQueen Car Air Freshener template (download here)
- Cardstock, heavy weight craft paper, construction paper, fabric or felt (red, black, yellow, light and dark shades of gray, and white)
- Glue stick
- Black marker
- String or thin ribbon (to hang the car freshener)
- Glue dot
- Essential oil (sold at craft stores and some grocery stores)
- Small plastic bag
- Print the Lightening McQueen template. Cut out the template pieces and use them to trace their shape onto your material (paper or fabric). Carefully cut out the pieces and set aside.
- To assemble the tire, glue the sidewall pieces to the tread pieces, as shown. Finish by gluing the hubs to the centers of the sidewalls.
- Attach the completed tires to the red car body. Using the black market, color in the right front tire shape.
- Glue the lightning bolt decal between the left tires.
- Attach the windshield and side windows. Finish by gluing the headlights and smile in place.
- With a pencil, draw small circular eyes on the windshield. Next give the car some style by defining the curves on the hood, the top of the windshield, the roof, and the corners of Lightning’s mouth. Go ahead and add some details to the hubs as well. Once you’re happy with the accents you’ve added, use the black marker to go over the pencil lines and make them permanent.
- You’ll need a way to hang your freshener so fold a length of string or ribbon in half and use a glue dot (or tape) to keep the ends in place as shown.
- Finish off the back by gluing the red card body on top of the gray one, matching up all the edges, and covering the taped/glued ribbon ends. Be sure you keep the loop free while gluing so you can hang it.
- Scent the back of the air freshener with a few drops of essential oil then place the air freshener in a plastic bag overnight. This will allow the scent to fully permanent the fabric/paper. Add more essential oil as needed.
Reprinted with permission from Disney and Disney Family Fun
- Disney/Pixar Cars 2 Tour and Sweepstakes Information
- CARS 2 Crafts: Race Car Light Switch Cover Makeover
- Red Toolbox Kits: Building Crafts and Relationships for Father’s Day
- Planning My Afternoon with Disney’s Peter Del Vecho and Lella Smith