I love waffles, they’re one of my favorite things to eat, no matter the time of day. And don’t be fooled by the high fiber, low fat title on these. It doesn’t mean they taste like cardboard! They’re crunchy and slightly sweet and the perfect base to any topping.
This basic high-fiber waffle can be topped with any fruit or fruit compote, but we’ve topped it with chopped apples and yogurt. If you make the topping ahead of time, it gives the apples time to release some of their moisture for a juicier topping.
Flax seeds are the only unusual ingredient in this one. You can buy them at your local store or online. Why add flax seed? Because they’re said to reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes. They’re natural and have been around for centuries. Many commercial products now add them to boost the nutritional value of crackers and chip. Plus, they taste good!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon, ground
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 medium eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup walnuts, finely chopped
- Apple Topping:
- 1 small apple, finely chopped
- Stevia to taste
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- Yogurt Topping:
- ¼ cup plain fat free yogurt
- Stevia to taste
- Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and flax seed.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs with Stevia, and applesauce.
- Combine wet and try ingredients and then stir in walnuts.
- Cook two waffles according to waffle iron instructions (1/2 waffle = 1 serving).
- APPLE TOPPING
- Mix apple, Stevia, cinnamon - split between the four servings
- Mix yogurt with Stevia (to taste) and pour over waffles and apple topping
- Healthy Low Fat Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting (miscfinds4u.com)
- Almost Fat-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe (miscfinds4u.com)
- Granny Smith Apple Cobbler Recipe – Fast, Easy and Fat-Free (miscfinds4u.com)
- Voskos Greek Yogurt Banana Pancakes Recipe (miscfinds4u.com)
- Healthy Oatmeal Peanut Butter and Raisin Cookie Recipe (miscfinds4u.com)
- Gluten-Free Black Bean Mocha Brownies – 2 Weight Watchers PointsPlus Points (miscfinds4u.com)
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes – 3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus Points (miscfinds4u.com)
- Light Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes with Strawberry Gelee Filling (miscfinds4u.com)
- Light Gingery Blueberry Shortcake Sliders – Lower in Fat and Calories but Not Taste (miscfinds4u.com)
- How to Make Frozen Mac and Cheese More Palatable and My Saturday Weight Watchers Food Diary (miscfinds4u.com)