You’d think a cake made with carrots would be healthy, but traditional carrot cake is anything but. It’s laden with fat and sugar and then packed with even more calories from pineapple and nuts. This recipe keeps the best part of a traditional cake and lightens them.
It makes use of Stevia and Agave Nectar. Both are likely available in your local grocery store but you can also purchase them online. Each should be a staple in your healthy home pantry. Another item to have is organic non-stick spray. We like O Organics Canola Oil Cooking Spray, we buy ours at Safeway.
Prefer cupcakes? No problem – just divide the dough into 20 mini cupcake wrappers or 12 standard sizes (nutritional information will increase for this size). Bake for 8-10 minutes for minis and 15-20 minutes for full size cupcakes or until done when toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 cups carrots, grated
- ¾ cup agave nectar
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup plain fat free yogurt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 6 oz plain fat free yogurt
- 4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Stevia to taste
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Whisk agave nectar, eggs, oil, applesauce, yogurt and vanilla together until well combined.
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and spices together and then gradually add to liquid.
- Gradually fold in carrots.
- Pour into 9"x13" pan lined with parchment paper or prepared with Non-Stick cooking spray and dusted with flour.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Combine all ingredients and whip until fluffy.
- Frost cooled cake and cut into 20 squares.
- Light Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes with Strawberry Gelee Filling (miscfinds4u.com)
- Low-Fat Macadamia Crunch Caramel Cheesecake Recipe (miscfinds4u.com)
- Light Gingery Blueberry Shortcake Sliders – Lower in Fat and Calories but Not Taste (miscfinds4u.com)
- Healthy Oatmeal Peanut Butter and Raisin Cookie Recipe (miscfinds4u.com)
- Gluten-Free Black Bean Mocha Brownies – 2 Weight Watchers PointsPlus Points (miscfinds4u.com)
- Paula Deen’s Nutty Orange Coffee Cake from a Can for Mother’s Day (miscfinds4u.com)
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes – 3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus Points (miscfinds4u.com)
- Almost Fat-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe (miscfinds4u.com)
- Paula Deen’s Easy Cream Cheese Southern Biscuit Recipe (miscfinds4u.com)