Fettuccine is a family favorite, and one my son would eat every day. But most recipes are full of fat and tons of calories. Those recipes are fine for an occasional treat, but this recipe has been lightened to reduce calories. And we’ve added chicken to increase the protein count, so it’s ready for a rotation in any monthly menu plan. Serve it with some peas and carrots, a crispy green salad, a fresh fruit side, and some crusty wheat bread for a complete dinner.
Change it up! Try whole wheat Fettuccine noodles to add fiber and toss in frozen broccoli or chopped asparagus to add some veg into the mix. This is best eaten fresh – it doesn’t reheat or freeze well, If you have room for a few calories in your diet, add fresh grated Parmesan or Parmigiana-Reggiano cheese on top.
- 2 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup low-sodium, low-fat chicken stock
- ¼ cup non-fat milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 8 oz (uncooked) fettuccine noodles (try whole wheat)
- ½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Prepare skillet with low-calorie cooking spray, brown the chicken and set aside.
- Re-spray skillet and saute shallots for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt
- Cook over medium heat until mushrooms start to brown
- Add the chicken and chicken stock and reduce liquid by half (approximately 20 minutes at low temp)
- Cook pasta per directions on package.
- Dissolve cornstarch in milk and add to sauce. Remove from the heat and stir until thickened.
- Add nutmeg.
- Drain pasta and add sauce.
- Add parsley.
- Toss and serve immediately.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 10-12 depending on the fettuccine noodles you use
- My Food Diary for the Weekend of 2/20/11 (miscfinds4u.com)
- My PointsPlus™ Tracker entries for Saturday, February 12, 2011 and Program Thoughts (miscfinds4u.com)
- My Weight Watchers PointPlus Food Journal for 2/28/11 (miscfinds4u.com)
- Healthy Oatmeal Peanut Butter and Raisin Cookie Recipe (miscfinds4u.com)