Yanni released his new album, Truth Of Touch, on February 8, 2011. It’s been over eight years since he’s released an album of original instrumental compositions, making this CD a return to the genre he helped create, and more like the music I fell in love with back in the early 90’s.
To promote the new album, on March 22, Yanni launched a 40-date tour of the US. He’ll be performing in theaters in major cities across the US including Radio City Music Hall in NYC, the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles, and our own theater here in Seattle!
Yanni Live in Concert – used with permission
“I work the rhythms in this album,” explains Yanni about the new material. “There is a beautiful complexity in these rhythms, a new sound design. I think the melodic content is very strong and very memorable. I was having fun with this album and that’s going to become apparent.”
I listened to the new CD today and overall I love it. As I listened, I jotted a quick note of how each made me feel (see below). Is this Yanni Live at the Acropolis? No, this is a studio album which can’t really be compared to the full-orchestra performance of some of Yanni’s best music (see it on DVD or listen to the CD, it’s fabulous). But for what it is, it’s pretty spectacular. I’m certain that seeing it live would increase my appreciation of it.
Yanni Truth Of Touch is a nice mix of mostly relaxing music. Vocals are sprinkled within the tracks and the voices are fantastic. It was nice to find the music is a unique, but cohesive mix. My one complaint about his last album is that it swung to broadly from one style to the next. This is a much more listenable mix. It’s the perfect soundtrack for working, reading, cooking, etc. Something that adds to the ambiance and doesn’t distract from it, but it’s completely listenable as the only source of stimulation as well.
Yanni Truth Of Touch Track Listing
- Truth of Touch – light, airy, spa, relaxing
- Echo Of a Dream – rhythmic, exotic, electronic
- Seasons – fun, spunky, happy, Spring
- Voyage – intense, strong, dark
- Flash Of Color – lavish, encompassing
- Vertigo – dizzying, Fall, spinning
- Nine – deep, sedate
- Can’t Wait (vocals) – sweet, romantic, harmonious
- Guilty Pleasure – space age, tingling
- O Luce Che Brilla nell Oscurita (vocal) – opera tenor, broad, grand
- I’m So (vocals) – Bollywood, Absynth, Green Fairy
- Long Way Home – mainstream, nature
- Yanni & Arturo (trumpet) – clear, translucent
- Mist Of a Kiss – emotional, animalistic
- Secret (vocals) – loving
- Audio CD (February 8, 2011)
- Original Release Date: 2011
- Number of Discs: 1
- Label: Rocket Science
- ASIN: B004BBDHEK
- In-Print Editions: Audio CD | MP3 Download
- Official Website
- Tour Dates – current shows 4/5-5/22 2011 – tickets are sold through Ticketmasters
- Yanni Community – connect with other Yanni fans, behind-the-scenes photos and video, and more
- Official Facebook Page
- Yanni on Twitter
- YouTube Channel
Disclosure: The giveaway product was provided by Yanni through the One2One Network. I received the same CD to aid in my review. Opinions are my own.