Have you heard about the Meatless Monday Movement? The purpose behind it is to introduce families to healthy, environmentally friendly meat-free alternatives. Not sure if you’re ready? Try this quick vegetarian chili! It’s full of black beans and sweet potatoes for a fabulous meat-free meal that’s so versatile and full of fiber, you might just look forward to a day or two without meat.
Serve it with tortilla chips or cornbread and crisp and sweet coleslaw. Or top with with lots of fresh cilantro and serve it on a bed of rice. Change it up by serving it over grilled chicken breast or use it as an enchilada filling. Need something to cool it down? Add a dollop of fat-free sour cream.
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 15 ounce can black beans
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes or tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne (or to taste)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- In a frying pan, prepared with low calories cooking spray, saute onions and garlic for two minutes
- Add sweet potato, carrots and bell pepper. Saute for further 5-6 minutes until onions are soft.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add remaining ingredients. Stir well.
- Simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes, until vegetables are cooked.