I’m always surprised how many different recipes there are for something with the same name. Better Than Sex cakes have been around since the 70’s and like most from that era, they consist of a boxed cake mix with added ingredients. These were huge hits at the office potlucks and always trotted out around Valentine’s Day where they competed head-to-head at office parties.
I no longer make them because there’s no one here to eat them any more, but here’s our favorite recipe. It’s NOT a light cake and it’s very high-calorie, but it’s fool-proof and delicious! Baked in a bundt pan, it looks much like the photo above before icing. You can make it lighter by skipping the frosting and sprinkling with powdered sugar.
- 1 box yellow cake mix (with our without pudding in the mix)
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup water
- 1 small box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (6oz) German chocolate bar, grated
- 1 (6oz) pkg semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
- 1 can chocolate frosting
- reserved nuts and chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a tube pan or bundt pan by greasing (shortening) and flouring or using a non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl add cake mix, eggs, oil, water, pudding, and sour cream. Mix well (approximately 2 minutes at medium speed). Stir by hand to add grated chocolate, chocolate chips (less ¼ cup for topping), and nuts (less ¼ cup for topping). Adding the nuts and chocolate by hand keeps them from getting too broken up).
- Bake 350 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes.
- Let cool. When warm to the touch, but not hot, heat one can of chocolate frosting in the microwave for 20-30 seconds (until stirable and spreadable). Poor the warm frosting over the top of the cake allowing it to dribble down the sides.
- Garnish with reserved nuts and chocolate chips while the frosting is still slightly warm.
- Cool completely
- Valentine’s Chocolate Cake (cherrymenlove.com)
- Valentines Heart Shaped Cakes (cherrymenlove.com)
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes – 3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus Points (miscfinds4u.com)
- Gluten-Free Black Bean Mocha Brownies – 2 Weight Watchers PointsPlus Points (miscfinds4u.com)