Two of television’s most beloved animated Christmas classics, The Year Without a Santa Claus and ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas were released in brand new editions by Warner Home Video (WHV) on October 5, 2010.
“Adults who grew up with these timeless Rankin/Bass specials can now share them with younger generations. These classics are to be cherished and enjoyed, and we are delighted to bring them to consumers,” said Amit Desai, WHV Vice President of Family, Animation & Partner Brands Marketing. He added, “If you are a fan of Rankin/Bass animation, these are two titles you cannot miss having in your home entertainment collection.”
The Year Without a Santa Claus (Deluxe Edition DVD) is the beloved 1974 Rankin/Bass stop motion animation television special. Yes, I saw the original broadcast and fell in love with the story. This is the tale of Santa Clause (voice by Mickey Rooney) and the year he decided to take a holiday and skip Christmas because he felt the children of the world have forgotten him. Memorable characters like the Heat Miser and his half-brother the Snow-Miser make this a fun and unique story. It’s a touching story and a great movie to share during the holidays.
Merry-making DVD bonus features include:
- Rudolph’s Shiny New Year — When the baby New Year named Happy goes missing, Father Time (voiced by Red Skelton) asks Rudolph to find him before midnight on New Year’s Eve.
- Nestor the Long-eared Christmas Donkey — The story of a small donkey named Nestor who is teased mercilessly about his abnormally long ears. He becomes a hero when he is chosen by Mary and Joseph to take them to Bethlehem.
- We are Santa’s Elves – A documentary focusing on the legacy of Arthur Rankin Jr. and Jules Bass of Rankin/Bass Productions, Inc.
- School of Stop Motion – Presents the Chiodo Brothers share their craft via a step-by-step demonstration aimed at young people.
Also newly released is the re-mastered, is another of my retro, vintage classic cartoons. The deluxe edition of Twas the Night Before Christmas, Inspired by Clement Moore’s poem and voiced by Joel Grey, Tammy Grimes, John McGiver, and George Gobel . St. Nick is angered when townspeople call Christmas “a fraudulent myth!” Skeptical Albert Mouse has to be brought to his senses “and let up a little on the wonder why.” How Albert is persuaded to change his tune paves the way for Santa’s jolly return to town – and the joyous finale.
DVD bonus feature includes: Christmas: A Global Holiday – An animated comic book that explores Yuletide traditions around the world.
The Year Without a Santa Claus will be offered on Blu-ray™ hi-def format for the first time and will retail for $24.98 SRP. This release will come in a Blu-ray + DVD Pack which includes a Blu-ray and DVD. ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas will be released in a brand new deluxe edition and will retail for $19.97 SRP.
ENTER TO WIN! Winner Chosen
Comment Contest – Winner
Prize won: Christmas DVDs Giveaway
Comment: Heather says How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
The nice people at Warner Home Video sent me a copy of each of these DVD’s, but since I no longer have little ones, I’m going to pass them on to one of my readers to enjoy! To win, comment below with your favorite holiday movie (it doesn’t have to be a Warner Bros movie :). One random commenter will win both DVDs! Retail value approximately $30.
Contest ends 10/25/10, 11:59 pm PDST. Regular contest rules apply.
Want Extra Entries?
- Like our Princess Time Toys Fan Page on Facebook (3 entries)
- Subscribe to this blog (3 entries)
- Tweet this post using the Share/Save at the bottom of this post – tweet up to 2 times a day (1 entry each tweet)
- Digg or Stumble our blog’s home page (5 entries each!)
Do any or all of the items above and comment in separate entries below.