Whether you call them chicken fingers, tenders, or nuggets, you know they’re probably a toddler’s number one favorite food. Unfortunately, most of the nuggets fed to our kids are made from pressed meat that’s been loaded with salt and other additives. This is a healthier alternative because it’s made with real chicken and baked instead of fried. It’s what I like to call a middle-of-the road recipe. Not too healthy that kids who’ve been eating McDonald’s Happy Meal chicken nuggets will turn their noses up at.
Of course, if your child is allergic to nuts leave them out and put an additional 1/2 cup of corn flakes. Nuts have a lot of healthy oils so if your child can tolerate them, leave them in. Also, opt for Organic Corn Flakes to make them even better.
To freeze these, freeze in a single layer (called flash freezing) for approximately 1 hour,instead of baking Once frozen, place them in gallon or quart size freezer bags and store for up to 3 months. To serve, bake from frozen state at 350 for 20 minutes. If thawed, bake as noted below. You can also freeze them after baking and reheat in the oven to crisp of microwave if you prefer a softer coating.
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1”x3” strips
- ⅓ cup natural cornflakes, crushed
- 1 cup of pecan nuts, finely chopped
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Combine cornflakes, pecans, garlic powder and salt (I place all of it in a food processor and blend until crushed) into a gallon size Ziploc bag. Dip the chicken strips into the milk, then into the cornflake mixture, using your hands on the outside of the bag to press the coating into the chicken.
- Spray a cookie sheet with Pam or use Silicon pads. Arrange the breaded strips in a single layer and bake in the oven for about 6 minutes, turn and bake 5-6 minutes longer or until the chicken is no longer pink inside and the breading is nicely browned.
- Serve with rice, potatoes, or carrot sticks.
Related articles by Zemanta
- OAMC – The Scent of Homemade English Muffins, Cherry Turnovers, and Spanish Rice Filled the Air (miscfinds4u.com)
- OAMC Filled Sandwich Roll with Organicville Stone Ground Mustard (miscfinds4u.com)
- Chicken Broccoli Stir-Fry Plus Prep for OAMC Chicken Broccoli Bake for the Freezer (miscfinds4u.com)
- Healthy Oatmeal Peanut Butter and Raisin Cookie Recipe (miscfinds4u.com)
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes – 3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus Points (miscfinds4u.com)
- Gluten-Free Black Bean Mocha Brownies – 2 Weight Watchers PointsPlus Points (miscfinds4u.com)
- Easy and Light Chicken Fettuccine Recipe Just 10 Weight Watchers PointsPlus (miscfinds4u.com)