My favorite holiday cookie hands down is the thumbprint cookie. It’s a delicious vanilla cookie, rolled in chopped nuts, and then filled with raspberry jam and baked to perfection. This is a take on the holiday version only this one is a peanut butter and jelly cookie. Or for us chocolate fans, a peanut butter cookie with a chocolate hazelnut filling. Either way you make them, they’re delicious!
I thought I’d never tried the taste of Nutella, but it turns out it’s made by the same people who make my favorite candy, Ferrero Rocher. The flavor is amazing – smooth chocolate with a hint of Hazelnut. I also had it the other day when I went to the Renton Farmer’s Market. I purchased a buttery, flaky pastry that was stuffed with it. Loved it!
The nice people at Nutella sent me a jar to try out and three to share with one of you. Here’s what I did with some of mine:
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour (Hodgson Mill Organic Naturally White Unbleached Flour)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup smooth peanut butter (Kirkand Organic - Costco's brand)
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened (O Organics Butter)
- ⅓ cup packed light-brown sugar (Wholesome Sweeteners Fair Trade Organic Light Brown Sugar)
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar (Wholesome Sweeteners Fair Trade Organic Sugar)
- 1 large egg (O Organics)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (Flavorganics Organic Pure Vanilla Extract)
- ½ cup raspberry jam (Cascadian Farms Raspberry Spread) and/or ½ cup Nutella Hazelnut Spread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together dry ingredients; set aside.
- Beat peanut butter and butter with a mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Add sugars, and beat until pale and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla, and beat until incorporated.
- Reduce speed to low. Add dry ingredients, and mix just until combined - don't overmix once the dry ingredients are added.
- Mix will be crumbly but forms a ball.
- Scoop level tablespoons of dough (I use a 1" cookie scoop), and form into balls. With fingers, make an indentation in the middle, smoothing the edges as you go.
- Bake approximately 15 minutes (until lightly browned).
- Meanwhile, stir fruit spread until smooth. Spoon jam into center of hot cookie, allow to cool.
- For Nutella cookies, allow to cool completely first.
- Enjoy within one week or freeze, in single layer until firm, and then in freezer bag.
Online Ingredient Shopping List
- Hodgson Mill Organic Naturally White Unbleached Flour
- Wholesome Sweeteners Fair Trade Organic Light Brown Sugar
- Wholesome Sweeteners Fair Trade Organic Sugar
- Flavorganics Organic Pure Vanilla Extract
- Cascadian Farms Raspberry Spread
- Nutella Hazelnut Spread
ENTER TO WIN
Comment below with how you’d use the three jars of Nutella. Contest ends 6/10/10 at 11:59 pm PDST. Regular contest rules apply. Open to mailing addresses in the US only (sorry, no PO Boxes).
Want extra entries?
- Subscribe to this website (1 point)
- Follow me on Twitter (user name princesstimetoy) (1 point)
- Tweet this post using the Share/Save at the bottom of this post – tweet up to 2 times a day, 1 point each time (1 point)
- Digg or Stumble our blog (5 points!)
Do any or all of the extra entry assignments and post a comment for each additional entry.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Wheat-Free Treats for Dessert and Your Lunch Box (miscfinds4u.com)
- Quick Homemade Zucchini Pineapple Bread (miscfinds4u.com)