I’ve never been a soft tortilla person preferring crunchy shells instead. My hubby, however, loves them so I’ve been trying to incorporate more of them into the food I make him that he takes to the station on his 24-hr shifts. Breakfast Burritos are one of his favorites and I make them in bulk and freeze them, but I always have trouble finding a tortilla that are pliable enough to be folded and frozen. Even with heating them before rolling, many times the egg and faux sausage filling emerges through cracks in the tortilla – what a mess! That is until I received two new kinds of tortillas from La Tortilla Factory.
La Tortilla Factory’s Smart & Delicious EVOO SoftWraps™ are fabulous tasting (yes, I did try one, I’m still not a convert though) and were perfect for the breakfast burritos. Hubby loved the taste and at only 90-100 calories/wrap he doesn’t have to worry about putting on a few pounds.
According to La Tortilla Factory, their “products are superior to other wraps and tortillas on the market with more fiber, yet fewer carbs and calories than traditional breads and tortillas. Plus, as an extra bonus, the company does not use lard or trans fats in any of its products making them the perfect fit for any busy family!” As a vegetarian, the fact that they don’t contain lard is a huge benefit. I had no idea companies were still using lard in products. It’s so unnecessary.
La Tortilla Factory also makes Hand Made Style Corn Tortillas–available in Yellow Corn, White Corn and Chipotle flavors. Soft and flexible, these are very authentic according to my son who’s loves Mexico and their food. I liked these a bit more than the EVOO SoftWraps because they’re closer in taste to the crisp corn shells I like.
Available for a suggested retail price of $1.99-2.49 for an 8-tortilla pack, these premium tortillas contain 90 calories, 14 grams of whole grains, no hydrogenated oils and 0 grams trans fat. Can’t find La Tortilla Factory products at your local store? Check the online store locator for a location near you or request that your store stock them. You can also order them at their online store.
Here are some recipes provided by La Tortilla Factory you may want to try out – additional recipes are available on their website. I’ll be making the Low Carb Chicken Enchiladas pictured above for my hubby. They look like they’re travel beautifully. My breakfast burritos are very plain – scrambled eggs, cheese, and faux sausage – my hubby doesn’t like spicy foods, so there’s another recipe below for more adventurous types.
Please note: I received two packs of tortillas to sample. This did not affect the authenticity of my review.
Serves 2 < 300 calories
1 teaspoon olive or canola oil
2 tablespoons chopped onion
2 medium eggs, lightly beaten with a folk
1 large tomato, medium diced
¼ cup low fat cottage cheese
2 La Tortilla Factory Tortillas or Wraps, warmed in a skillet over low heat for 1-2 minutes
- Preheat the oil in a saute pan, cook the onion over medium heat for 1 minute or until soft.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the egg, diced tomatoes, cottage cheese and mix well with a fork or whisk.
- Add the egg mixture into the browned onion and cook to scramble for 1 minute over medium-low or until the egg is set. Divide into two portions.
- Fill each warm tortilla with one portion of the cooked egg mixture, fold the sides over filling, and roll into a wrap.
Roasted Veggies with Hummus
Serves 2, <300 calories
1 teaspoon olive or canola oil
2 oz zucchini, fine diced
2 oz Cauliflower, florets
2 oz Red Bell pepper, fine diced
2 oz yellow onion, fine diced
¼ teaspoon kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
4 tablespoons hummus
2 La Tortilla Factory tortillas or wraps
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine the zucchini, cauliflowers, bell pepper and onion, toss together with oil, salt and pepper, and transfer to a sheet pan and bake for 20 minutes or until light brown. Divide into two portions.
- Spread half of the hummus on a tortilla and top with half portion of the veggies mixture, fold the sides over the filling and roll into a wrap. Continue with the remaining tortilla.
These recipes are reprinted with permission from La Tortilla
Related articles by Zemanta
- All in One Breakfast Rollups (frugalwahmstalkradio.com)
- Herb & Garlic Tuna Wrap (momcooks.net)