This Empowering Women Together post was sponsored by Walmart through the Mom It Forward Blogger Network
I’ve always thought it was my duty as a human to care for others. I try to make most of my decisions in life based on more than just me. I want to consider others, the earth, and more. Thankfully companies make that easier when they offer an easy way for me to make my purchases make a difference for others.
Walmart’s Empowering Women Together program is part of their Global Women’s Economic 5-year commitment which goes through 2016. They plan to source $20 billion dollars from women-owned business and they’ve made some of those products available on a special website.
The Empowering Women Together on Walmart.com website is a place to shop for handcrafted items from all over the world. These items include jewelry, paper mache, home décor and accessories, apparel, iPad and laptop cases, specialty foods like coffee and tea and more. These woman are creating these in Rwanda, Kenya, Nepal, Cambodia, Haiti, Canada, and the US. In fact, there are more than 19 businesses from 9 countries currently selling their wares on the site – that’s over 900 handmade items for yourself or as a gift!
Your purchase from the site helps support these women and families make a better life for themselves. It feels good to give back!
US PROJECT – Women’s Bean Project
The Women’s Bean Project has been helping women break the cycle of poverty and unemployment in Denver, Colorado since 1989. WalMart’s Empowering Women Together is a proud partner. Check out the video to see how $500 in beans started it all.
Connect & Learn More
Win an Empowering Women Together Prize Pack
One lucky winner is going to receive this cool global prize package worth $66!
- Recycled Rice Bag Quilted iPad Case by Nomi Network for Full Circle Exchange: Made in Cambodia/Color ocean blue – $24 value
- Felt 12” Dahlia Flower by Friends Handicrafts for Global Goods: A purple flower accessory for the home which was made in Nepal – $10 value
- Paper Mache 5″ Vase by Caribbean Craft for Full Circle Exchange: A decorative vase (perfect for the purple felt flower!); zebra black and white and made in Haiti – $ 10 value
- Women’s Surplice Maxi Dress by Nirmal Designs for Full Circle Exchange: Black and white chevron print dress; available in sizes S through XXL. Made in India – $22 Value
How to Enter
- Pin your favorite item from the Walmart Empowering Women site to your own pinboard (each individual has a Pinterest button and a description of the maker if you scroll down a bit in the description). YOU MUST do the following when pinning:
- Include the hashtag #pintoempower
- Include a brief description about the woman supplier in the comment section of the pin.
- Post the link to your pin in a blog comment below.
Not sure if you’re doing it correctly? Here’s a link to my pin: http://pinterest.com/pin/92112754851370642/
Photo Credit: Walmart (used with permission)