Before watching cooking shows became a favorite pastime, I had no idea what a coulis was. Granted, I assumed that if one of the Top Chef contestants was serving it, it must be difficult to make. I couldn’t have been more wrong.
Now you can be inspired to try more dishes previously thought to be difficult and you can do it easily and with equipment you likely already own and ingredients you will probably find in your grocery store.
The Lazy Gourmet: Magnificent Meals Made Easy is a book that wants to demystify the whole fine dining world. You can make food like your favorite Top Chef and in your own home. The first section of the book takes you through ingredients you may not already be familiar with. Once the basics are covered, you’ll get right into the recipes.
The authors, Robin Donovan and Juliana Gallin include 125 recipes for everything from coulis, ceviche, compound butters, and more and you’ll be making them in no time. The recipes include information about the dish, the history of it, or alternative flavors so you’ll know what you’re cooking and how it should turn out.
The Lazy Gourmet: Magnificent Meals Made Easy cookbook is well written but it does not include a single photo (with the exception of the cover photos), which to me is a huge detraction from its brilliance. Beyond that, there are some recipes you’ll likely love and that may make up for the lack of photos.
To see sample recipes including the Spicy Crab Cakes below, visit the The Lazy Gourmet recipe page.
About the authors
Robin Donovans’ previous books include Campfire Cuisine: Gourmet Recipes for the Great Outdoors and The San Francisco Chronicle (co-author). She’s written articles that have been printed in The San Jose Mercury News, Cooking Light, Fitness, The San Francisco Chronicle, and Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Juliana Gallin is a graphic designer by trade and has produced popular series in San Francisco which includ Ask a Scientist, How-To Night, and Comedy Talks.
The Lazy Gourmet: Magnificent Meals Made Easy Book Details
- Viva Editions; 1 edition (May 1, 2011)
- ISBN-10: 157344653X / ISBN-13: 978-1573446532
- Cookbook Review: 150 BEST CUPCAKE RECIPES – Scratch Baking at its Best! (miscfinds4u.com)
- Babycakes Cake Pops Maker Savory Recipe: Thai Crab Bites with Wasabi Mayo (miscfinds4u.com)
- Spring Decorating Tutorial from 175 Best Babycakes Cake Pops Recipes (princesstimetoys.com)
- Free Kindle Books – Celebrate Earth Day Plus 28 More Cookbooks, Self-help & Work Life (aimlesscurator.com)
- Review: 175 Best Babycakes Cake Pops Maker Recipes Cookbook (miscfinds4u.com)
- Interview: MUFFIN TIN CHEF Cookbook Author Matt Kadey (miscfinds4u.com)